random question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
knotoftoads

New

random question

Post by knotoftoads » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 pm

I've been searching online but still can't find a straight answer. Does the word "though" always need a comma after it when it begins a sentence?

"Though, it was hers all along" or "Though it was hers all along"

Words like however always need a comma when introducing a sentence like the one above and I could replace the "though" with "however" (but I already used that word in a prior sentence) , so does that mean I need the comma?

AreJay711

Gold

Re: random question

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 pm

knotoftoads wrote:I've been searching online but still can't find a straight answer. Does the word "though" always need a comma after it when it begins a sentence?

"Though, it was hers all along" or "Though it was hers all along"

Words like however always need a comma when introducing a sentence like the one above and I could replace the "though" with "however" (but I already used that word in a prior sentence) , so does that mean I need the comma?
It would be "Though it was hers all along,...." but it isn't "though" that requires the comma; it is whatever that kind of phrase is called in grammar. Look that up. It should be one of the main entries on any comma use guide.

knotoftoads

New

Post by knotoftoads » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am

Well I meant that as a whole sentence, not as an introductory phrase. I forgot to put periods.
Though it was hers all along. (Its the sentence before describes what I was talking about)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:22 pm

As a moderate grammar Nazi, I'm embarassed to admit I don't know which (if either) is correct... but I'm confident in my statement that it sounds very stilted. I would change the sentence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”