death penalty as a topic?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
kineticx

death penalty as a topic?

Postby kineticx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm deciding between a few topics for my personal statement, and one is related to the death penalty. I attended a penitentiary vigil against a death penalty to support a friend, despite my mixed feelings about the issue. My PS would deal with these feelings about the death penalty (shades of grey vs black and white), and the peculiar treatment of protesters.

I know that political topics are generally not recommended, should I proceed with caution or not even bother?

The Gentleman

Re: death penalty as a topic?

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 pm

This is probably not very good PS material. The topic is sensitive and you really only attended to support your friend.

If this protest sparked an interest in human rights etc. and caused you to get involved in a tangible way, then I could see it working. But outside of that, you should probably scrap this topic.

cubswin

Re: death penalty as a topic?

Postby cubswin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:32 pm

kineticx wrote:I'm deciding between a few topics for my personal statement, and one is related to the death penalty. I attended a penitentiary vigil against a death penalty to support a friend, despite my mixed feelings about the issue. My PS would deal with these feelings about the death penalty (shades of grey vs black and white), and the peculiar treatment of protesters.

I know that political topics are generally not recommended, should I proceed with caution or not even bother?

If your friend was sentenced to death, this would be a good statement. Otherwise, your statement is going to be 750 words about how a life-and-death issue is no simple matter, and a meditation on the obvious fact that people don't like protestors. Sounds pretty banal to me.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”