(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Last edited by lalalawya on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Re: Lying in personal statement?

Postby St.Remy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 pm

lalalawya wrote:I am way too paranoid to ever actually do it/want to do it (even if I were to consider it...which I wouldn't), but I am just curious if people lie in their personal statements?

If someone were to have a sub-par personal history/experiences, I feel like it may be enticing, but I wonder if people ever actually go through with it? I've read in other threads about how people stretch the truth in their resumes, but I would be curious to know if someone has actually made up a story for their PS (i.e overcame some great adversity such as illness, death in family/friends, etc.)

People definitely lied to get into undergrad, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened for Law School as well. The big difference though is that everyone agrees that the PS doesn't matter that much. Why bother lying in it when nobody cares? Plus they might dig it up when character and fitness rolls around, in which case you've screwed yourself for no reason. My PS was nothing great, I doubt any adcomms will remember it in a few months, but it was honest. Since the purpose is to show who you are as a person insofar as that can be done in 2 pages, I'd say that being honest is really the only way to go.

I'd be much more interested in people lying on their resume.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:06 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if deceptions are more common in law school apps than undergrad ones. Just a guess.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Yeah, someone in the law school admissions forum had asked peoples opinions about lying a "little" on his/her resume.

He considered a "little" lie exagerrating a part-time job to a full-time job. Of course everyone responded with a loud "You are crazy."

My personal statement wasn't anything amazing either because I, fortunately, have not had to face any sort of adversity (knock-on-wood)....but like you, I felt good about submitting an honest application.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”