Writing about wanting corporate law?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Killa $al

Writing about wanting corporate law?

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:06 pm

I've read some really great essays on here, but it seems like no one ever mentions that they want to practice corporate law despite the fact that the majority of us will be heading there. The vast majority of essays I've read are about a major life adversity, the desire to help people, or both. Will my app be looked down upon if I write about experiences that make me want to practice corporate law?

birdlaw117

Re: Writing about wanting corporate law?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Automatic ding.

No, but seriously that's fine. Anything that helps differentiate you can be construed as a good thing.

Killa $al

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Well I'm sure not anything that differentiates you will be construed positively, but I understand what you're saying :)

I'm just concerned that I'll come across selfish if I write about wanting to help businesses and not the disenfranchised. A lot of schools strongly play up their positive role in the community with pro bono work, and I'm worried that I'm not bringing much to the table in this sense.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm

whatever -- even within the corporate context you have the disenfranchised (minority shareholders in a squeeze out). working for institutional entities who have the resources to invest in massive battles that can shift entire legal regimes doesn't necessarily mean that corporate lawyers by definition are defending unclean board members.

don't write about anything that makes it sound like you have no idea what you're talking about; and don't have typos.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:26 pm

I don't think the majority of lawyers practice corporate law, but I'm too lazy to look up the numbers.

Anyway, I think it's fine to talk about your passionate for corporate work as long as you don't get political or turn it into a lecture. And (this should be obvious) don't deride people who do want to be do-gooders.

Killa $al

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:31 pm

solidsnake wrote:whatever -- even within the corporate context you have the disenfranchised (minority shareholders in a squeeze out). working for institutional entities who have the resources to invest in massive battles that can shift entire legal regimes doesn't necessarily mean that corporate lawyers by definition are defending unclean board members.

don't write about anything that makes it sound like you have no idea what you're talking about; and don't have typos.

Right, I do understand that there are opportunities to help the disenfranchised in a corporate setting and that these attorneys and their clients aren't soulless Death Eaters. However, I think it would be a major stretch to link this concept with projecting the image of "wanting to help people" in the personal statement. Just getting into the admission committee's heads, if I really wanted to help people, why not just do PI work?

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Last edited by solidsnake on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Killa $al

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:37 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:I don't think the majority of lawyers practice corporate law, but I'm too lazy to look up the numbers.

Anyway, I think it's fine to talk about your passionate for corporate work as long as you don't get political or turn it into a lecture. And (this should be obvious) don't deride people who do want to be do-gooders.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking my PS message will be accounting/finance education + enjoy helping clients solve business problems + unique (but limited) experience with corporate law + love learning = good law school applicant. Does this sound decent enough, given good execution?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Killa $al wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:I don't think the majority of lawyers practice corporate law, but I'm too lazy to look up the numbers.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking my PS message will be accounting/finance education + enjoy helping clients solve business problems + unique (but limited) experience with corporate law + love learning = good law school applicant. Does this sound decent enough, given good execution?

Sounds a bit like Penn's 5 year plan essay

Killa $al

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:45 pm

mths wrote:
Killa $al wrote:

If only I had Penn numbers :oops:

mths

Postby mths » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Killa $al wrote:
mths wrote:
Killa $al wrote:

If only I had Penn numbers :oops:

I just meant that you might want to make your PS read less like a resume and goal list :)

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:02 am

I don't think your PS needs to talk about helping the little guy or anything.
Talking about what you find exciting in corporate law is good. As is the problem solving aspect, especially if you can highlight a past experience where you had good client-comm skills/achieved desired results etc.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”