Personal Statement - Resume question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gambelda

Personal Statement - Resume question

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Law schools say they don't want your PS to restate your resume. I want to include a MAJOR talking point on my resume detailing my experiences both as playing in and managing a band for 5 years (national and international tours). This experience single-handedly got me my first job because the talking points were insanely beneficial.

However, I want to use a few of these experiences in my personal statement. I wouldn't include what I did or what impacts I had like you might see in my resume, but more how the experience with the band as a whole shaped my current viewpoints.

Is it safe to include this experience in both the resume and PS?

hawaii

Re: Personal Statement - Resume question

Postby hawaii » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:29 am

IMO, if this is something that really had an impact and shaped your views, then you should write about it. Even if it is already stated in your resume. But others might disagree with me.

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:36 am

hawaii wrote:IMO, if this is something that really had an impact and shaped your views, then you should write about it. Even if it is already stated in your resume. But others might disagree with me.

i agree!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 am

I think you are taking the don't state your resume thing too literally. Of course talking about that experience is totally fine.

It's only bad if your PS is I did A, which taught me 1, and made me want to be a lawyer. Then I did B, Then I did C, then I did D. (Talking about too many things, without connections, and not talking about what you got out of those experiences.)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”