What to write about when applying to same schools one year

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Rory1987

What to write about when applying to same schools one year

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 pm

later? Last year I applied to a ton of schools and was accepted, rejected, and waitlisted by some. I decided to take a year off; partly to wait out the economy a bit and also just to chill. Plus, I wanted another shot at some of the schools I was waitlisted and rejected by. I have also been working, too. My PS last year was banging, but now I’m not really sure what to write about since I’ll be applying to the same schools. Should I just keep the same PS, alter it, or come up with something different? How much will reusing my old PS hurt me? Coming up with something new is kinda difficult because I really haven’t done anything too noteworthy and I honestly can’t think of anything more to write about. Suggestions?

gambelda

Re: What to write about when applying to same schools one year

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:16 pm

keep the same one and apply now? If you didn't retake, why in the hell did you wait to apply so late in this cycle? You're trying to get accepted into the schools you missed out on....not get waitlisted again.

I don't think they will remember your essay unless it was fabulous from the 7000 other applicants most top schools see. You should have been applying in September.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm retaking in Dec...

And don't they keep the old files, so won't they have access to my PS from last year? Or do they get rid of it?

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:47 pm

bump

nikkilaw

Postby nikkilaw » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:19 pm

some schools require that you write a new PS....check the FAQ on the school's website

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Why not write about the choice to take a year off and gain experience before attending Law School? If done correctly that PS statement could show how you've made a decision that allowed you to gain maturity.

hawaii

Postby hawaii » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Why not write about the choice to take a year off and gain experience before attending Law School? If done correctly that PS statement could show how you've made a decision that allowed you to gain maturity.

This

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”