Diversity Statement not too diverse?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sampras13

Diversity Statement not too diverse?

Postby sampras13 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 pm

I am wondering whether I need to write the optional diversity statements for a few different schools. The problem is that I am not that diverse. All I have is that my parents immigrated from the Soviet Union and that I grew up in Brooklyn, NY with a few financially difficult years until they got up on their feet. My first language was russian and I grew up in a very russian neighborhood of Brooklyn. Then i moved to Jersey to a pretty affluent neighborhood. Anything to brag about here? I could talk about how I am diverse in different ways (interests, work, etc.) but is that proper?

HeavenWood

Re: Diversity Statement not too diverse?

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Diversity statements aren't just for URMs. It sounds like you have a potentially good topic.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Sounds like you have a good topic for a DS here, just put your OP in paragraph form, attach some emotions to the facts (how did language barrier affect you, how did being different from your classmates make you feel..), and write a little about how your diversity might have changed your perspective on things.. you got this

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:25 pm

If you're applying to schools in the Tri-State area, that isn't going to make you seem very diverse.

sampras13

Postby sampras13 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 pm

That's what I thought, so maybe I should only include them to the ones outside?

sampras13

Postby sampras13 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Does anybody else have any tips for me?

yoyowhatupyo

Postby yoyowhatupyo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

same question here. also a russian, which i go into with my PS. At first i was fired up write a DS but use it as an opportunity to talk about my willingness to try different things out of my comfort zone, and mention something about all the different kinds of jobs i've had and people i've worked with.

.... but know i'm kind of fizzling. I'm not totally whitebread 'average', but i am getting the feeling that DS aren't really for writing about all the interesting things you've done and instead are about overcoming adversity and basically being a social minority of one kind of another, i.e. experiencing discrimination.

i'm not sure if i'm gonna write a DS anymore.

Do most people submit DS or not?

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm conflicted as to whether I should write a DS too. :(

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am

yoyowhatupyo wrote:same question here. also a russian, which i go into with my PS. At first i was fired up write a DS but use it as an opportunity to talk about my willingness to try different things out of my comfort zone, and mention something about all the different kinds of jobs i've had and people i've worked with.

.... but know i'm kind of fizzling. I'm not totally whitebread 'average', but i am getting the feeling that DS aren't really for writing about all the interesting things you've done and instead are about overcoming adversity and basically being a social minority of one kind of another, i.e. experiencing discrimination.

i'm not sure if i'm gonna write a DS anymore.

Do most people submit DS or not?

Most applicants do not, but most applicants are also not first generation Americans. At some schools, such a DS may not help you, but I highly doubt it could hurt you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”