Typo found after submission!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
IfByWhiskey770

Typo found after submission!

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:34 am

For an English major, this is really embarrassing.

Toward the end of my personal statement, I wrote:

"Furthering my legal career, I became a Client Attorney Relations Representative for an legal services vendor specializing in workers’ compensation law."

AN legal services vendor?

This statement has already been sent to two of my top-choice schools. With some pretty average numbers for these schools, I was counting on an awesome statment. And it was pretty awesome, except for this stupid typo.

Any advice on what to do next? AM I GOING TO DIE? :(

Ragged

Re: Typo found after submission!

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:38 am

Call the school's admissions and ask to send in the correct copy. They will tell you what to do.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:14 am

Ragged wrote:Call the school's admissions and ask to send in the correct copy. They will tell you what to do.

This.

I am curious, would a school actually decide whether to accept or reject someone based on one grammatical error or is it just wishful thinking of me that it wouldn't make a difference?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 am

And even if you can't, try to keep in mind: they read THOUSANDS of these things. I have to believe they're skimming. If not, an admissions cycle would take 3 years.

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:01 am

KevinP wrote:
Ragged wrote:Call the school's admissions and ask to send in the correct copy. They will tell you what to do.

This.

I am curious, would a school actually decide whether to accept or reject someone based on one grammatical error or is it just wishful thinking of me that it wouldn't make a difference?

I suppose we're raised to believe that every typo we make earns us a spot in a rejection pile of some sort. I suppose I'm even more paranoid than the next person, having received my B.A. in English (with an option in Literary Editing and Publishing!) I'm seriously kicking myself in the ass right now.

Like the other poster said, it seems more likely that these adcomms have to skim through these things, and that it's more reasonable to believe that they wouldn't let an admission hang on one typo. But then again, who really knows that goes on in these people's heads?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”