Yet Another Topic Question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dlbuhr

Yet Another Topic Question

Postby dlbuhr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

So I just got back my October score, and now I find myself having to retake in December. I want to have my apps in though so that as soon as the December scores come out they go complete. The only thing I have left to do is write my personal statement and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on a couple of possible topics.

1) Running. It has been a huge part of my life, and has prompted changes in my everyday behavior. For along time I struggled with issues of self-confidence, and running has proved to be a remedy for this as well as instill me a desire for achievement and accomplishment.

2) I've always been fascinated by the underlying systems that work to create a functioning whole. This, in the long run, has led to my decision to study law, since an infrastructure of laws plays a vital part in the functioning of a society.

Do either or these work, or should I keep thinking? The running topic probably would be more informative about who I am, but lacks anything relevant to why I want to attend school. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

WhirledWorld

Re: Yet Another Topic Question

Postby WhirledWorld » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gambelda

Re: Yet Another Topic Question

Postby gambelda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Honestly, I like topic 1. Can you expand the topic into how running has shaped you as a person? How it has altered your views? Have you done a lot of thinking about life, the world, etc. while running? Has the added strength given you confidence in other areas of life that have then lead to a change in mind? These are questions to think about.

I debated writing a very similar PS about my road biking and my current training for an ironman. I have a lot more confidence in daily life due to these activities. I don't have much confidence when it comes to the LSAT......but who REALLY does anyways?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”