Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
edubs003

Bronze

Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top?

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:31 pm

My personal statement is 3 1/2 pages long, but most schools I'm looking at only want 2 pages. What should I do? It's a pretty serious personal statement so cutting out something isn't an option. Should I put something like, "Due to the seriousness of the situation, this personal statement had to be 3 1/2 pages long." What do people think?

1Levening2013

New

Re: Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top?

Post by 1Levening2013 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:32 pm

write a new one for the schools that have a 2 page max....they have a max for a reason and dont need to see your disclaimer

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:33 pm

You don't have to eliminate content, just words.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:34 pm

edubs003 wrote:Should I put something like, "Due to the seriousness of the situation, this personal statement had to be 3 1/2 pages long." What do people think?
Best joke on TLS today.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:34 pm

edubs003 wrote: "Due to the seriousness of the situation, this personal statement had to be 3 1/2 pages long."[/b]

LOL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The poster that said you need to eliminate words not content is correct.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't think you understand. I'm talking about jail time and alcohol abuse. If I cut down my personal statement, my addendum will just be longer. Doesn't make much sense. I'm thinking about just sending it and letting them figure out why it's longer than 2 pages.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm

edubs003 wrote:I don't think you understand. I'm talking about jail time and alcohol abuse. If I cut down my personal statement, my addendum will just be longer. Doesn't make much sense. I'm thinking about just sending it and letting them figure out why it's longer than 2 pages.
Then you're thinking of not getting into many law schools huh. Follow directions children.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Also, I spent a lot of time getting it perfect and saying what I want to say. Now I'm finding out it's 1 1/2 pages too long. Whether it's words or content, doesn't matter. That would cut out way too much.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Do so at your own peril, man. Doesn't matter how compelling your story is, if you can't follow directions, you aren't getting in.

Write about your jailtime, write about your alcohol abuse, but eliminate details and anecdotes that are not absolutely critical.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:38 pm

edubs003 wrote:Also, I spent a lot of time getting it perfect and saying what I want to say. Now I'm finding out it's 1 1/2 pages too long. Whether it's words or content, doesn't matter. That would cut out way too much.

Words and content are not the same thing. If you refuse to listen to reason, by all means, go ahead and torpedo your applications.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:38 pm

edubs003 wrote:I don't think you understand. I'm talking about jail time and alcohol abuse. If I cut down my personal statement, my addendum will just be longer. Doesn't make much sense. I'm thinking about just sending it and letting them figure out why it's longer than 2 pages.
I've read two pages personal statements where people can cover brain cancer and losing their parents; I've also already seen a two page statement that talks about jail time and alcohol abuse. You will not be doing yourself any favors by displaying that you still can't follow the rules, even after you've "learned" from a reckless past.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Additionally, don't come on to TLS asking for advice and then spit in the face of those who are giving you legitimate advice.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

edubs003 wrote:Also, I spent a lot of time getting it perfect and saying what I want to say. Now I'm finding out it's 1 1/2 pages too long. Whether it's words or content, doesn't matter. That would cut out way too much.
Perhaps along with cutting some words, you need to revisit the content of your PS. Maybe you're taking too much time explaining one aspect. Either way, your PS can be cut down.

Plus, how do you know that if you do cut out some words, that it would be cutting out too much?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1Levening2013

New

Post by 1Levening2013 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

i mean i understand that you think its a serious topic and that it deserves more space. but its likely that thousands of other people think there issues deserve more space/more explaining too. what gives you that right, and not them?

heed the advice of everyone else. follow directions

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Then you're thinking of not getting into many law schools huh. Follow directions children.
Well I do have a diversity statement that's two pages. But then my addendum will be 3 pages. So what's the difference of putting the extra 1 1/2 pages on an addendum or a personal statement? It's the same amount of reading. I know they say don't go over two pages but I've also heard that they won't stop reading at 2 pages. And lets be honest, I'm probably not getting into many schools either way with my criminal history. So who cares if it's a little long?

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Additionally, don't come on to TLS asking for advice and then spit in the face of those who are giving you legitimate advice.
Why don't you go fuck yourself? I came here for advice, not ridicule.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

edubs003 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Additionally, don't come on to TLS asking for advice and then spit in the face of those who are giving you legitimate advice.

I looked at this guy's profile to see if there was some reason he was being so pig headed about following simple directions....there isn't one.

Lets see:

154 LSAT
3.0 GPA
Jail time
Alcoholism
AND he can't follow directions

Def a safe bet for HYS
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

edubs003 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Well I do have a diversity statement that's two pages. But then my addendum will be 3 pages. So what's the difference of putting the extra 1 1/2 pages on an addendum or a personal statement? It's the same amount of reading. I know they say don't go over two pages but I've also heard that they won't stop reading at 2 pages. And lets be honest, I'm probably not getting into many schools either way with my criminal history. So who cares if it's a little long?
You really should not submit a PS longer than 2 pages to schools that specify a 2 page PS. You really should not be submitting an addendum longer than one page. Doing either, or both of these things, will probably only serve to hurt you and make it look like you still don't understand how to follow rules and that you still believe rules don't apply to you.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:44 pm

paratactical wrote:
edubs003 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
You really should not submit a PS longer than 2 pages to schools that specify a 2 page PS. You really should not be submitting an addendum longer than one page. Doing either, or both of these things, will probably only serve to hurt you and make it look like you still don't understand how to follow rules and that you still believe rules don't apply to you.
+1

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 pm

I also struggled with this/ still am struggling with this. My best advice to you would be to try a rewrite if you're really stuck with how to condense it. If you feel like taking out certain sentences would fragment the piece than just try a total rewrite. Sometimes essays are cohesive and that's the easier approach. Look back at your original to keep on track and keep the content as others suggested and approach the rewrite with the mindset that every word you write must be absolutely essential and must be the shortest/ most concise way you can express your idea. A shorter, 2 pg piece that hits home big ideas is much more impressive than a long winded statement; though, I would not claim that your topic/PS does not warrant 3 1/2 pgs. It is not impossible but you should rewrite it if you feel frozen.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 pm

edubs003 wrote:Well I do have a diversity statement that's two pages. But then my addendum will be 3 pages. So what's the difference of putting the extra 1 1/2 pages on an addendum or a personal statement? It's the same amount of reading. I know they say don't go over two pages but I've also heard that they won't stop reading at 2 pages. And lets be honest, I'm probably not getting into many schools either way with my criminal history. So who cares if it's a little long?
Your addendum is most likely far too lengthy as well. Concise writing is very important, both in law school and in the admissions process. I guarantee you can cut a lot of unnecessary details out of every one of those essays. Just trying to give you some advice. If you don't want to talk the advice of people in here then just submit your apps and report in about how it goes when you get your decisions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:46 pm

shanshan333 wrote:I also struggled with this/ still am struggling with this. My best advice to you would be to try a rewrite if you're really stuck with how to condense it. If you feel like taking out certain sentences would fragment the piece than just try a total rewrite. Sometimes essays are cohesive and that's the easier approach. Look back at your original to keep on track and keep the content as others suggested and approach the rewrite with the mindset that every word you write must be absolutely essential and must be the shortest/ most concise way you can express your idea. A shorter, 2 pg piece that hits home big ideas is much more impressive than a long winded statement; though, I would not claim that your topic/PS does not warrant 3 1/2 pgs. It is not impossible but you should rewrite it if you feel frozen.
+1

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
edubs003 wrote:

I looked at this guy's profile to see if there was some reason he was being so pig headed about following simple directions....there isn't one.

Lets see:

154 LSAT
Jail time
Alcoholism
AND he can't follow directions

Def a safe bet for HYS
I'm not looking for HYS. I'm looking for advice and that's guys comment didn't give any. Also, if it asks for a optional statement. Can I not just use my personal statement, making it longer, to answer both?

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Holy shit, are you serious?

YOU ARE NOT A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE; YOU DON'T GET A SPECIAL SET OF RULES THAT APPLY ONLY TO YOU.

Cut it down.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:48 pm

For the Diversity Statement and Why X statement, they can be up to 2 pages right? The 1 page addendum rule doesn't apply, correct?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”