Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Jackie O

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement too long? Put a disclaimer at the top?

Post by Jackie O » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:09 pm

definitely do not put a disclaimer at the top - it would be best to attach an addendum explaining the seriousness of the situation and the negative impact cutting your PS down would cause - just make sure you keep the addendum down to no more than 1-2 pages

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:09 pm

edubs003 wrote:
Sammi wrote:Ok. Maybe we are being harsh.

Post it, and we can help you?
I would, but it's far too serious. I'm talking about charged with F1, F2. There's just no way I'm willing to share that info and post it online.
Uh, not to go all off topic, but have you taken the time to research whether or not you'll be able to actually practice given your (apparently) colorful background?

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Like I said, PM is open to you if you really want help.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 pm

edubs003 wrote:Well if anyone can sit here and tell my that facing up to life in prison doesn't warrant 3 1/2 pages. Well then......I don't know what to say. I'll just try to cut it down. Thanks for the help.
Nothing warrants 3 1/2 pages when told to limit it to 2. "Facing up to life in prison" is something. Therefore, "Facing up to life in prison" does not warrant 3 1/2 pages when told to limit it to 2.

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:13 pm

I wonder if they would not stamp "deny", but they would instead stamp "tl;dr"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Sammi wrote:I think you should follow your heart and do what feels right. I mean, that's what getting into law school is all about. And furthermore, I think you should also attach some stickers of unicorns and rainbows to your 3.5 page long personal statement. Maybe if you quadruple space it out, you can reach it up to 10 pages and in between each line, you can draw little smiley faces.
As someone who edits papers for a living I am qualified tocallyouanofficialcunny.thanks.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
Sammi wrote:I think you should follow your heart and do what feels right. I mean, that's what getting into law school is all about. And furthermore, I think you should also attach some stickers of unicorns and rainbows to your 3.5 page long personal statement. Maybe if you quadruple space it out, you can reach it up to 10 pages and in between each line, you can draw little smiley faces.
As someone who edits papers for a living I am qualified tocallyouanofficialcunny.thanks.
you snarky little snot

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
LOL

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Going chopchoppy with an axe may cut out things you think are important, but you don't need to tell the adcomms absolutely everything - getting it short and concise will really improve unity. If you want some assistance in seeing how you might be able to do it, I just went through the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
^ Obviously watched Boardwalk Empire this week.

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Look at paper one more time. Try to edit just a few words. Put paper down for a few hours. Pick paper back up and try to edit just a few more words. Do this throughout the day and evaluate your final product. If you get to the point where you feel it is bare bones than submit the damn thing and be sure it's a GOOD 3 pages. There is a thread on here somewhere of an applicant who wrote over 1500 words and ended up at W&M I think it was. If you're exceptional past needs explaining then explain it.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Wactawshus wrote: As someone who edits papers for a living I am qualified tocallyouanofficialcunny.thanks.
Wactawshus wrote:Look at paper one more time. Try to edit just a few words. Put paper down for a few hours. Pick paper back up and try to edit just a few more words. Do this throughout the day and evaluate your final product. If you get to the point where you feel it is bare bones than submit the damn thing and be sure it's a GOOD 3 pages. There is a thread on here somewhere of an applicant who wrote over 1500 words and ended up at W&M I think it was. If you're exceptional past needs explaining then explain it.
Hmmm.....
Last edited by teaadntoast on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Lol

We all got trolled! Good one OP!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 pm

aschup wrote:
Wactawshus wrote:
^ Obviously watched Boardwalk Empire this week.
Honest to god I have no idea what that is. Just thought that was a bit of piling on and snootish.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”