Need a starting point, please. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
UMiamiCane

Bronze

Need a starting point, please.

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I began lurking while waiting for my LSAT scores. (Sorry, yes, I was one of those people bogging down the site :D )

Here is my problem:
I have no idea where to start with my personal statement. I enjoy writing, but always despised writing about myself. After reading several examples, I still can’t think of a storyline to incorporate everything I want to say. I know a few points I want to include, but I don’t know what direction to take or where to start. I’m hoping I can receive a few pointers that may send me in the right direction. Here are a few main points that I think I want to hit on, please let me know if you think any of these should be left out, or given more focus.
-Working in law enforcement capacity since UG graduation, 2005
-Current position involves interaction with state attorney’s office, which is how I became interested in becoming an attorney
-Master’s degree in Forensic Science, certificate in Death Investigation
-Lots of training in various subjects (interview and interrogation, statement analysis, cold cases, etc)
-Experience speaking at international conferences about my work
-Want to attend law school to become a state attorney
-Strong interest and overall goal is to work with the Innocence Project
-Currently volunteer with animal rescue group, would like to do pro bono work for the Humane Society of the United States

Also, should I talk about why my UGPA was so low the first two years (bad major choice)? Or leave that for an addendum only?
Does it look bad that I didn’t know I wanted to go to law school since a child, or even right after college?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by UMiamiCane on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Re: Need a starting point, please.

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:25 pm

You really gotta answer this question for yourself.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:You really gotta answer this question for yourself.

I was just looking for a few pointers from experienced people to push me in the right direction...thanks

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:28 pm

There's a questionnaire at the back of Anna Ivey's book that can help you get started.

http://www.amazon.com/Ivey-Guide-Law-Sc ... 0156029790

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:33 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:There's a questionnaire at the back of Anna Ivey's book that can help you get started.

Great, I am going to order the book. I Googled a little bit about the questionnaire, and it appears that you send her your answers? Is that correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:36 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:There's a questionnaire at the back of Anna Ivey's book that can help you get started.

Great, I am going to order the book. I Googled a little bit about the questionnaire, and it appears that you send her your answers? Is that correct?
She does (paid) admissions consulting and the questionnaire is something she uses with her clients. But you can also use it independently to brainstorm. The book is full of good advice.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Oh, okay. I figured it was too good to be true that private consulting was included in the $10 price of the book :lol:

Thanks again for the advice.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I hate UMiami and I was going to hate on you, but when I saw that you volunteer for an animal rescue group, you gained my admiration. :mrgreen:

Heres my advice.

You have very good soft factors. Dont worry so much about your UG GPA. Focus on the LSAT if you havent already done so. It seems like you might already have score back. If you didnt do well, retake. Its so important to get a good LSAT score because it can help with getting into better schools and getting more money from them.

Good luck!

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Lol, gdane5. Despite its reputation (mostly on the football field), Miami is a good school, and good people do come out of there. Although, if someone was telling me this from say FSU, I wouldn't believe them either :P

Yes, I took the LSAT in October, unfortunately, I didn't do as well as my PTs, so I will be retaking in February. My goal is a 165, which is my average PT, and above the 75th percentile for UF, where I am applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 pm

UF is a very good target for you. I would say a 165 is definitely more than enough to get in.

Also, my UM hate stems from the fact that I went to FIU and we hate you guys. At least I did. Haha!

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:51 pm

UM- FIU? Hate? Nahhhh. It's not like we've ever had a bench-clearing brawl or anything :oops: Quite an embarrassing show for both schools...

Thanks, though. I do hope I get in to UF.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:54 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:UM- FIU? Hate? Nahhhh. It's not like we've ever had a bench-clearing brawl or anything :oops: Quite an embarrassing show for both schools...

Thanks, though. I do hope I get in to UF.
Hey UMiamiCane, i just Pm'd you. Check your in box.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm

save the low gpa stuff for addendum. You have a lot of more recent and more interesting things to talk about. Remember you don't have to talk about ALL of these things, or some of them you can tie in with just one sentence.

I think it is more compelling that you didn't grow up wanting to be an attorney. You seem to have clear events/experiences that prompted you to explore law as a career so talking about those is a strong point.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 am

JJDancer wrote: I think it is more compelling that you didn't grow up wanting to be an attorney. You seem to have clear events/experiences that prompted you to explore law as a career so talking about those is a strong point.
Thanks, I've never looked at it from this perspective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”