Overcoming the odds Topic-- Your thoughts

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Archiel1979

Overcoming the odds Topic-- Your thoughts

Postby Archiel1979 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Background
Age 30-35
3.3 GPA B.A. Education
Military Vet, Former high school teacher and air traffic controller
Projected December LSAT 154-159 (my ptest range)

I don't want post my statement here as I am really pouring my heart out in it. However, I wanted to get an Idea of what you guys and gals think of the topic.

The topic: (outline)
I made the biggest mistake of my life and dropped out of high school.
I served honorably in the military.
I adopted my son.
I realized an education was important and I needed to be an example to my son.
I went back to school an earned a degree in education.
I taught high school civics.
I was one of a select few w/o atc experience that was hired by the government as an air traffic controller. Demanding academy and job. I worked as a controller at an International airport control tower.
It was all made possible by realizing how important an education is and overcoming my own fears.
I did it for my family.
The adoption process (of my son) has lead me to aspirations of being an attorney. I want to work in family law.

What do you think?

bklynav

Re: Overcoming the odds Topic-- Your thoughts

Postby bklynav » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:00 pm

That doesn't sound like a personal statement; it sounds more like a novel. :)

You have a lot of of unique material that's sure to make a strong impression. I think your hardest challenge will be to find a way to include the important information in only two pages and have it read like a personal story instead of a list of accomplishments. If you can do that, you'll have an outstanding statement.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 pm

bklynav wrote:You have a lot of of unique material that's sure to make a strong impression. I think your hardest challenge will be to find a way to include the important information in only two pages and have it read like a personal story instead of a list of accomplishments. If you can do that, you'll have an outstanding statement.

This is the truth. You need to work on combining all of those things (or at least most, some might have to be left on the cutting room floor) into a concise story about you.

Also, how long have you been studying the LSAT? I started out testing mid-150s and improved to 170 for the actual LSAT. If 150s is where you started there should be room for big improvements; if you've been working at it already, there's still time to make more gains. You can hopefully get at least into the 160s in two months, which will help things significantly.

Archiel1979

Postby Archiel1979 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bklynav wrote:You have a lot of of unique material that's sure to make a strong impression. I think your hardest challenge will be to find a way to include the important information in only two pages and have it read like a personal story instead of a list of accomplishments. If you can do that, you'll have an outstanding statement.

This is the truth. You need to work on combining all of those things (or at least most, some might have to be left on the cutting room floor) into a concise story about you.

Also, how long have you been studying the LSAT? I started out testing mid-150s and improved to 170 for the actual LSAT. If 150s is where you started there should be room for big improvements; if you've been working at it already, there's still time to make more gains. You can hopefully get at least into the 160s in two months, which will help things significantly.

I have it cut down to about 3 pages double spaced right now. I have only been studying the LSAT for about 2 weeks. I was originally going to take the February test. However, I went to the LSAC forum in Chicago yesterday and was urged to take it in December. I am optimistic that I can get the score up if I work on the AR section some more. I am hoping my life experiences will help me gain admission to some of schools I am looking at. Also, I am not looking at tier one schools unless I bust out something amazing on test day.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”