Capitalizing professions?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MissLucky

Capitalizing professions?

Postby MissLucky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:49 pm

if I say "professions in medicine and information technology", does the "m" in medicine need to be capitalized? do the I and T in information technology need to be capitalized? and if we talk about "a career in the law" is the "l" in law capitalized?

thank you!!

MissLucky

Re: Capitalizing professions?

Postby MissLucky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 pm

and what about capitalizing the "w" in White (as in the race) ?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Nice. You finally put up an avatar.

Lowercase for black/white when youre talking about "race".

http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/capital.html

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:40 pm

lol - yes I did :)

Amazing website! thanks, man - it definitely prevented me from committing a grammatical faux-pas on the "black/white" race (non)capitalization.

any thoughts on professions, though?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:52 pm

I professions in caps. On my resume and in my PS.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:57 pm

MissLucky wrote:if I say "professions in medicine and information technology", does the "m" in medicine need to be capitalized? do the I and T in information technology need to be capitalized? and if we talk about "a career in the law" is the "l" in law capitalized?

thank you!!
The old rule still applies: If it's a proper noun or name, cap it; otherwise, don't. "Medicine" and "information technology" and "law" are not proper nouns -- therefore, no caps.

You'll often see businesses capitalizing generic words related to their products, or schools doing the same with their programs, to give them an artificially inflated sense of importance. But they are following in-house style rules. Stick to the rule above unless you're getting paid to follow a different one.

N.B.: With resumes you have a little more leeway. There, perfect consistency trumps blind adherence to the rules.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:28 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
MissLucky wrote:if I say "professions in medicine and information technology", does the "m" in medicine need to be capitalized? do the I and T in information technology need to be capitalized? and if we talk about "a career in the law" is the "l" in law capitalized?

thank you!!
The old rule still applies: If it's a proper noun or name, cap it; otherwise, don't. "Medicine" and "information technology" and "law" are not proper nouns -- therefore, no caps.

You'll often see businesses capitalizing generic words related to their products, or schools doing the same with their programs, to give them an artificially inflated sense of importance. But they are following in-house style rules. Stick to the rule above unless you're getting paid to follow a different one.

N.B.: With resumes you have a little more leeway. There, perfect consistency trumps blind adherence to the rules.

ahhh - very good advice. thanks man!

MissLucky

Re: Capitalizing?

Postby MissLucky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:06 pm

this is so pathetic that i'm not 100% sure about this but in a title that states "Why X Law School is my Top Choice", does the "m" in "my" get capitalized? thanks!!!

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:21 pm

I would title it "Why I Want to Attend X School".

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”