Would this be a decent topic?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
whymeohgodno

Would this be a decent topic?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:08 pm

My older sister at a young age of 23 had to undergo surgery for breast cancer and also an emergency room operation for a condition that was life threatening.

I wanted to write about how almost losing someone close to me could put my life in perspective...but I was wondering if a PS like this would focus too much on a family member and not me?

WhirledWorld

Re: Would this be a decent topic?

Postby WhirledWorld » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:
I wanted to write about how almost losing someone close to me could put my life in perspective...but I was wondering if a PS like this would focus too much on a family member and not me?

Sounds like it. You might be able to pull it off, particularly if you can show how you made a really positive impact on all those around you, but it sounds like it might not turn out well. For what it's worth, I'd advise against it.

Ok thanks. Any other opinions?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 pm

I think it would be a good topic for her to write about if she decides to go to law school. Pick something that's going to let you talk about you not about someone else.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Unless this event actually directly changed the direction of your life in a way that directly led to your desire to get a JD (or the specific things you want to do with the JD) then I think it won't help. These days, everyone in trying to write the great overcoming/trauma story, so if it sounds like it is reaching at all then you are likely to come off as cliche, or even worse, disengenous. Good luck with the essay, and I am glad that your sister pulled through ;-)

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 pm

WayBryson wrote:Unless this event actually directly changed the direction of your life in a way that directly led to your desire to get a JD (or the specific things you want to do with the JD) then I think it won't help. These days, everyone in trying to write the great overcoming/trauma story, so if it sounds like it is reaching at all then you are likely to come off as cliche, or even worse, disengenous. Good luck with the essay, and I am glad that your sister pulled through ;-)

Thanks a lot!

I'll go in a different direction and try to find a different topic.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”