how to make the length of PS within 2 pages?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
victorlong

how to make the length of PS within 2 pages?

Postby victorlong » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Many law schools require the length of PS is no more than 2 double-spaced pages.

It looks impossible to put what I try to convey in just 500 words.

And I find many TLSers post their PS here which always exceed 1000 words as my PS does. So is it ok to give them 3 or 4 pages?

rayiner

Re: how to make the length of PS within 2 pages?

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:23 pm

victorlong wrote:Many law schools require the length of PS is no more than 2 double-spaced pages.

And I find many TLSers post their PS here which always exceed 1000 words as my PS does. So is it ok to give them 3 or 4 pages?

How do make the length of your PS less than 2 pages? Write less.

Also, your english is terrible, don't go to law school.

victorlong

Postby victorlong » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Thank you for your advice. I am not a native speaker and I am struggling with my English all the time. My PS is just around 1000 words long. I think I may post it first and ask for some advice how to cut unnecessary parts from it.

birdmann783

Postby birdmann783 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
victorlong wrote:Many law schools require the length of PS is no more than 2 double-spaced pages.

That is a douchebag thing to say..

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:05 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Law school: a place where you read 200+ pages of dense English text a week and are then tested solely on your ability to understand the subtleties of the concepts therein and on your ability to convey your analysis precisely and succinctly in a highly time-compressed setting.

antonin

Postby antonin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Two pages is more like 680 words i think.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Law school: a place where you read 200+ pages of dense English text a week and are then tested solely on your ability to understand the subtleties of the concepts therein and on your ability to convey your analysis precisely and succinctly in a highly time-compressed setting.

This.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Edit it down.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:06 am

We all know the feeling: It sucks to kill a well-written statement. It's like killing a child that you've raised. But everything can be said in 2 pages. Part of being an attorney is learning to be concise. This is a good lesson. Take some solace in that, and in the fact everyone else is doing it. In the end, (most of the time) the statement will probably come out better as you are forced to trim the fat and leave only the awesome lean meat.

Try shortening it like this: Without looking at your statement, explain the premise and structure of it out loud briefly, and then write whatever you mentioned. That's what's important.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:10 am

Active voice.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:11 am

mst wrote:We all know the feeling: It sucks to kill a well-written statement. It's like killing a child that you've raised. But everything can be said in 2 pages. Part of being an attorney is learning to be concise. This is a good lesson. Take some solace in that, and in the fact everyone else is doing it. In the end, (most of the time) the statement will probably come out better as you are forced to trim the fat and leave only the awesome lean meat.

Try shortening it like this: Without looking at your statement, explain the premise and structure of it out loud briefly, and then write whatever you mentioned. That's what's important.

funny how, when someone becomes a judge, all that gets thrown out the window lol

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”