Low LSAT addendum. Good idea or a waste of time

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gin

Low LSAT addendum. Good idea or a waste of time

Postby gin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 am

So I've taken the LSAT 3x now (which is the max) scoring 146, 145 and 154 from earliest to latest (I actually had time to study for the last one). The thing is that I've never been too good at standardized tests.
I went to my high school and asked them for my scores for the SATs and the ACTs, both of which I did terrible on, yet my grades in college are not reflective of that poor performance. I'm planning of making the argument that my LSAT score will not be a good predictor of how I will perform in law school.
Do you think that will actually work?

CGI Fridays

Re: Low LSAT addendum. Good idea or a waste of time

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 am

gin wrote:So I've taken the LSAT 3x now (which is the max) scoring 146, 145 and 154 from earliest to latest (I actually had time to study for the last one). The thing is that I've never been too good at standardized tests.
I went to my high school and asked them for my scores for the SATs and the ACTs, both of which I did terrible on, yet my grades in college are not reflective of that poor performance. I'm planning of making the argument that my LSAT score will not be a good predictor of how I will perform in law school.
Do you think that will actually work?

Unfortunately your grades in law school will be based on exams, which are far more similar to the test-taking conditions in standardized tests than they are grades in UG, which are a combination of papers, class participation, & tests.

I hate to break it to you, but if you're not good under timed, standardized, one-sitting tests, your addendum will likely either not make sense, or it'll rest on questionable reasoning.

Might be a good time to rethink the next few years of your life. I'm not trying to be mean.

bhangra23

Postby bhangra23 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:41 am

na
Last edited by bhangra23 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 am

bhangra23 wrote:Depends on what your UGPA is for real man

This too.

Also, what percentage of classes were graded on tests, & what percentage were graded on papers?

gin

Postby gin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 am

Unfortunately your grades in law school will be based on exams, which are far more similar to the test-taking conditions in standardized tests than they are grades in UG, which are a combination of papers, class participation, & tests.

I hate to break it to you, but if you're not good under timed, standardized, one-sitting tests, your addendum will likely either not make sense, or it'll rest on questionable reasoning.

Might be a good time to rethink the next few years of your life. I'm not trying to be mean.

The LSAT is a multiple choice test. Tests at law schools are essays which is the type of test I'm use to. On all of my LSATs the essay was by far my best section (I got professors to look at them), but I'm lucky enough that that's the only section that is not graded.

My LSAC GPA is 3.1, but that is a little deceiving because my freshmen and sophomore years were not my best (that's the biggest weak spot of my argument), but then they shot up 3.6s and 3.7s with 3.8 being the highest, though I doubt law schools will put too much attention to that.

I know my LoRs are good, which leaves my personal statement which has been a bit of a challenge (lets just say it end up being an average personal statement).

gin

Postby gin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Also, what percentage of classes were graded on tests, & what percentage were graded on papers?

It was a combination of both but for the most part the exams where short answer and essays so I'm not really sure how you want to separate it

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:18 am

I would write the addendum and keep it short. Also, I would reference the letters of recommendation in the addendum if those are indeed your strongest points. Best of luck to you.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:53 am

gin wrote:The LSAT is a multiple choice test. Tests at law schools are essays which is the type of test I'm use to.

Touche.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”