Military Officer, Class of 2014 Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
willzazz2001

Military Officer, Class of 2014 Personal Statement

Postby willzazz2001 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm applying for the 2011 Fall cycle and was wondering if anyone with experience as an officer in the military, (any branch) has advice for incorporating a military theme into personal statements / application. I know most schools are military friendly, but I would like to maximize this to have the better advantage.

Anyone who has advice and has used military experience to gain an edge/acceptance to their "reach" schools would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if its a good idea to make the majority of my personal statement about what I have learned by means of the military, but would like tips if anyone is in the same boat.

PS---Who's looking forward to getting the LSAC Score release email while their drinking this saturday night?!? haha

tranquil

Re: Military Officer, Class of 2014 Personal Statement

Postby tranquil » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm

I sent you a PM.

w105wrs

Postby w105wrs » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey, Im in the same boat. Im trying to get picked up for the Army FLEP program. Im an infantry officer. Love to talk with you about the program in case you know some things I dont. Im working on the same problem with PS.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm a 2L FLEP student, Army.

I don't know if it got me into my reaches, but I wrote my PS about an interpreter I'd met in Iraq, a little about her life and how she ended up seeking asylum in the US, to show how getting to know her made me want to work on international human rights issues, particularly the rights of women and children in war zones. I got a nice handwritten note on the bottom of my acceptance letters from most schools referencing that PS, so I suppose it couldn't have hurt anything.

If you have a specific instance you can refer to, I think it's great to bring up your military experience in your PS. For example, if you were ever a platoon leader or company commander, you can bring up a time when you had to discipline one of your soldiers, or any experiences you have with Article 32 hearings, 15-6 investigations, or courts-martial. If anything in your military experience (good or bad) helped inform your decision to apply to law school, I'd talk about it.

Good luck!

w105wrs

Postby w105wrs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Wow, I even went below my lowest practice test... 154. Hopefully LTG Chipman has mercy on an infantryman.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”