Are you having trouble starting?.........

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sophia.olive

Re: Are you having trouble starting?.........

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:42 am

5. "if you dont like funerals dont kick sand in ninja's face"........

6. or, anything else Die Antwoord says.

orangebluewhitered

Postby orangebluewhitered » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:14 am

D. H2Oman wrote:"Wow, you're really good at arguing, have you ever thought about going to law school" her words continued to echo through my head as a stepped off the plane. That's when I knew this was going to be so much more than month long trip studying abroad in Paris, if was going to change my life forever.

This is utter perfection.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:59 pm

The thing you would never guess about chronic diahrea is...

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Most people have never heard of nongonoccocal urethritis...

CaptainApathy

Postby CaptainApathy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:19 pm

"The sagely advice that a body is best disposed of by chopping it into pieces and feeding it to pigs raced through my mind as I cleaned off the chainsaw."

"Being 1/78th Cherokee has affected my life in so many ways."

"Even though I knew no one would understand, I have never been ashamed of my goal to head an international criminal organization specializing in counter-intelligence, terrorism, revenge, and extortion."

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:34 pm

My vacation to Cambodia changed my life. Sex tourims is a funny thing.

PostHawk

Postby PostHawk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:20 pm

"I thought I had never done anything important with my life, then someone told me I helped create Windows 7..."

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Last summer changed my life. It would be the first time I went to visit my grandfather and the summer that I joined the Klu Klux Klan.

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about what white pride means to me....

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I have been spending a lot of time thinking about what white pride means to me....

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! That is so horrible!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Shooter wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I have been spending a lot of time thinking about what white pride means to me....

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! That is so horrible!

It is the perfect start to a diversity statement.

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Laugh all you want, but I'm taking notes. I still have no idea what my PS is going to be about.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Shrimps wrote:Laugh all you want, but I'm taking notes. I still have no idea what my PS is going to be about.

Tell me about it, man. I am so lost. My life just isn't that interesting - which apparently means I can't be a good lawyer.

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Let's hope the oft-heard statement that adcoms don't usually give a duck about the content of the PS is correct. They merely want it sufficiently convoluted and mellifluously verbose.

Most successful lawyers, I suppose, have dreadfully predictable Scarsdale-esque childhoods and, in desperation, had to resort to "love to argue", "semester abroad really changed me" type essays when they were applying to law schools. Which are no-no's only because they show a total lack of imagination.

If your life is boring, forget about it. Most successful lawyers' childhoods and college years were boring. But is there an interesting reason why you want to be a lawyer? Anything interesting in your FUTURE? That's where I will be looking for answers and tips on my PS. There's really nothing about my past that I can talk about with a straight face. Kind of makes me regret never doing hard time or being sucked into a toilet.

(stream of consciousness over)

gmtelon

Postby gmtelon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:00 pm

"I was attacked by some idiot from out here in the projects," I lamented as the oppressive brightness of the television camera nearly blinded me. I was too distraught to say more, so I referred the newscaster to my brother, who was pacing back and forth with unbridled rage.

The camera turned away from me and to my brother, who wasted no time in speaking his mind.

"Well, obviously, we have a rapist in Lincoln Park," barked my brother Antoine, admonishing the rapist. "He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up, trying to rape 'em, so y'all need to hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband, 'cause they raping everybody out here."

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 pm

sophia.olive wrote:OK I will compile some introductions for those of you trying to come up with a PS.
Hopefully others will contribute........

1. When I saw vultures over head, I went to the roof of the building and untied the three school girls,...........

2. "Thats what she said" echoed off the precipitous cliffs of Mt. Kilimanjaro............

3. When I realized that the rape victim was describing me to the police, I knew I would have to follow him home. Oddly, this was the begining of a long freindship and sparked my desire to become a laywer.........

4. Though I started the fire that was burning down my house on purpose, I felt bad when I realized I forgot about the baby...................

Hopefully, you can just complete the story and GET THAT PS IN!!!!

I realize this is a joke, but I feel like LOTS of people start their essays this way. You realize how EXHAUSTING this is for adcoms. They'd much prefer you start simply. Something like While I was growing up, I struggled with the constant moves my family was forced to make by my father's career in the military.
Tell them what's up. They'll appreciate it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:05 pm

If you were to ask me what ice cream flavor I am, I would respond with Vanilla. I am average height, graduated in the middle of my high school class, and have one older sibling and one younger sibling. I cant act, dance, play a musical instrument or sports that well, and have never had to overcome anything worse than learning how to ride a bike. So why do I want to be a lawyer, and go to your school? Well the reason is... being average just plain sucks. The time has come to add some sprinkles to my life, and try to make the world a better place. Law is the best avenue for me to do this.

bl ah blah blah

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:15 pm

I feel like people try to use the active vioce to much in the intro which makes it so confusing.

Running through the snow, on a one horse open slay. I saw Santa and Rudolph. I steadied my rifle and took a shot killing Santa. I turned my gun to Rudolph and at this point I knew I wanted to be an enviromental lawyer.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:19 pm

T.I. once said, "why ya keep tryin' ta say no when your panties so wet?" These words perfectly embody my decision to become a lawyer...

She screamed no over and over again as I struggled to remove her fuzzy uggs and tights. "Why are you doing this?" she finally inquired. Calmly, I explained why my penis deserved to be inside of her. "You're really good at arguing!" she gasped, and the deed was done. No case will ever be as difficult as a stubborn bra clasp. It was then that I knew I would be a lawyer...

Ever since I was two, I've been fascinated by the subject of bird law...

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:48 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:T.I. once said, "why ya keep tryin' ta say no when your panties so wet?" These words perfectly embody my decision to become a lawyer...

She screamed no over and over again as I struggled to remove her fuzzy uggs and tights. "Why are you doing this?" she finally inquired. Calmly, I explained why my penis deserved to be inside of her. "You're really good at arguing!" she gasped, and the deed was done. No case will ever be as difficult as a stubborn bra clasp. It was then that I knew I would be a lawyer...

Brilliant, yet disturbing.

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 pm

52. As I read the words on my Chinese fortune cookie, I knew that my destiny was...

53. ... and that is why I start each and every day reflecting on the inspirational message "F*** B******, Get Money!"

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 am

"As I sat staring at the beautiful '121' on my LSAC page, I was certain I had reached my life's crowning moment. Even the birth of my first-born son paled in comparison to the sense of triumph and prestige I felt at that glorious moment..."

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:26 am

PostHawk wrote:30. Chuck Norris told me to go to law school. <<< whole personal statement right there

31. "I laughed as I pulled the knife from Nicole Brown Simpson's body..."

LMFAO

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:29 am

jarofsoup wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:T.I. once said, "why ya keep tryin' ta say no when your panties so wet?" These words perfectly embody my decision to become a lawyer...

Brilliant, yet disturbing.

+1000

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:32 am

59. I took a sip of what was labeled "Jesus Juice." I feel tired soon after and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up with a throbbing pain in my anal cavity. Michael told me that the pain was a side effect of the juice. I believed him.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:39 am

call me ishmael

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”