Criminal Addendum Help

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Any comments are appreciated.

Also, Does this need to be double spaced like everything else? If it is double spaced, it takes up about a page and a half, which I think is way too long for an addendum. I can put it at 1.4 spaced and it fits perfectly onto a page. Please let me know. Thanks.

When I was seventeen and eighteen years old, I made a series of errors in judgment which resulted in disciplinary criminal action.

In my senior year of high school, I began a phase in my life which, in order to grow out of, required some major soul searching and family support. I received during High school one minor in consumption citation and two public intoxication citations. All incidents were dismissed and removed from my visible record. My conduct was manipulative and insensitive to my family, friends, and mentors who cared about my success. That conduct came to a head during my freshman year at the two respective Community Colleges I attended.

On September 7th, 2007, while I was enrolled in my freshman year at XXXX Community College, I stole a textbook from an off campus bookstore. Consequently, I was arrested and charged with a class B misdemeanor for theft. In sentencing, XXXX County Court assigned a year of probation and seventy hours of community service. In December of this same semester, while I was still enrolled at XXXX Community College, I was arrested again for possession of marijuana paraphernalia. I plead guilty to this crime and was forced to pay a fine to the XXXX County Court.

On March 17th, 2008, while I was enrolled in the second semester of my freshman year at XXXX Community College, I stole a carton of cigarettes from my employer, XXXXXXXX, and I was arrested and charged with another class B misdemeanor for theft. In sentencing, XXXX County Court reduced the charge to a class C misdemeanor and I received three months of probation.

I successfully completed counseling, the assigned probation, and community service for all of these charges, and I have not been arrested or charged with any criminal activity in over two and a half years. I am ashamed of these actions and wish I would have not been so immature and naïve. I never thought about the future, I had no regards for society or authority, and I acted selfishly off of impulse and inclination alone. Since the occurrence of these incidents I have continuously been employed, held positions in extracurricular organizations, participated in non-mandated community service, and received far better grades which resulted in being listed continuously on the Dean's List or President's list for academic achievement. I have learned what it means to be responsible through all of these activities. I now take pleasure in leading a reputable and candid lifestyle, and in benefitting society rather than being an inconvenience. All of these things happened during my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college, and since then I have significantly grown and matured. I accept full responsibility for my actions and nothing of this nature will ever happen again.
Last edited by abarrios on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Anyone?

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby txadv11 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Just to clarify, the police only wrote you citations for public intoxication? I'm not sure where you live, but typically thats strictly an arrest-type situation (danger to self or others where I live).

Anyways, I would try a little more to explain the two theft charges, in general terms. I think theft is a crime of moral turpitude and IMHO is more serious than 17-18 year old drinking. I'd try to put more distance between your prior thefts and your current moral compass.
Sorry I don't have more for you, I'm currently working on my addendum as well! Hope this helps, some.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:11 pm

txadv11 wrote:Just to clarify, the police only wrote you citations for public intoxication? I'm not sure where you live, but typically thats strictly an arrest-type situation (danger to self or others where I live).

Anyways, I would try a little more to explain the two theft charges, in general terms. I think theft is a crime of moral turpitude and IMHO is more serious than 17-18 year old drinking. I'd try to put more distance between your prior thefts and your current moral compass.
Sorry I don't have more for you, I'm currently working on my addendum as well!


Yea, I didn't get arrested in any of the first three situations, they just wrote me a ticket and got my parents to pick me up.

The thefts are crimes of moral turpitude. I'm not sure what you mean by explaining them in more general terms. Should I make the descriptions of the thefts more vague??

Thanks.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby txadv11 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:28 pm

abarrios wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Just to clarify, the police only wrote you citations for public intoxication? I'm not sure where you live, but typically thats strictly an arrest-type situation (danger to self or others where I live).

Anyways, I would try a little more to explain the two theft charges, in general terms. I think theft is a crime of moral turpitude and IMHO is more serious than 17-18 year old drinking. I'd try to put more distance between your prior thefts and your current moral compass.
Sorry I don't have more for you, I'm currently working on my addendum as well!


Yea, I didn't get arrested in any of the first three situations, they just wrote me a ticket and got my parents to pick me up.

The thefts are crimes of moral turpitude. I'm not sure what you mean by explaining them in more general terms. Should I make the descriptions of the thefts more vague??

Thanks.



Sorry this is hard to specifically discern. At face value I just feel the reader would be more comfortable with something to show distance from two thefts, possibly what awakening or changes have happened besides just staying out of trouble. Did you attend a anti-theft class? Did you meet someone that was in far worse trouble and want to change your path..etc Some may disagree, this is just my opinion, overall you've done a good job of making things clear. I think another opinion is necessary before you take my advice.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks.

Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?

bhangra23
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby bhangra23 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:02 pm

na
Last edited by bhangra23 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:06 pm

bhangra23 wrote:I've heard that u should just state the date of the offense, charge, and sentence, then write something saying that you've matured or that you're not the old you. So for your case just list all the info and then at the bottom write what you learned, what changed ur life, how you are a better person, what made you change, basically write why anyone should believe that you've changed. good luck


I thought I did all of this haha. Are you saying that my paragraph at the end doesn't do this?

Thanks

bhangra23
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby bhangra23 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Lol sorry missed the last paragraph. Looks pretty good. Only thing I would say is that you might wanna take it to your pre-law advisor for some incite, and maybe have a english t.a. or someone read over it to make it sound more proper/professional. hope this helps

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:48 pm

bhangra23 wrote:Lol sorry missed the last paragraph. Looks pretty good. Only thing I would say is that you might wanna take it to your pre-law advisor for some incite, and maybe have a english t.a. or someone read over it to make it sound more proper/professional. hope this helps


I already did all of this. Just posting it here to get some TLS opinions before I start applying this weekend. Thanks.

Anyone else?

etown989
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby etown989 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:38 pm

I think what the person meant was switch that opening paragraph explanation to the bottom also. For the citations you mentioned that were dismissed some schools still want the details of them (date, location, context of how you got the tickets). Also I would specify how much the fine was and the date you went to court. Also I would separate the book stealing and weed incident like this

On September 7th, 2007, while I was enrolled in my freshman year at XXXX Community College, I stole a textbook from an off campus bookstore. Consequently, I was arrested and charged with a class B misdemeanor for theft. In XXXX County Court on _date__ I was sentenced to a year of probation and seventy hours of community service.

On December __, 2007 I was arrested for possession of marijuana paraphernalia. (Insert short details of the situation here). I plead guilty to this crime and was forced to pay a $___ fine to the XXXX County Court on ___date____.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby abarrios » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:08 pm

etown989 wrote:I think what the person meant was switch that opening paragraph explanation to the bottom also. For the citations you mentioned that were dismissed some schools still want the details of them (date, location, context of how you got the tickets). Also I would specify how much the fine was and the date you went to court. Also I would separate the book stealing and weed incident like this

On September 7th, 2007, while I was enrolled in my freshman year at XXXX Community College, I stole a textbook from an off campus bookstore. Consequently, I was arrested and charged with a class B misdemeanor for theft. In XXXX County Court on _date__ I was sentenced to a year of probation and seventy hours of community service.

On December __, 2007 I was arrested for possession of marijuana paraphernalia. (Insert short details of the situation here). I plead guilty to this crime and was forced to pay a $___ fine to the XXXX County Court on ___date____.


Thanks.

I actually have no idea what the dates were on the first three incidents. And I've called court houses and done background checks and I can't find any information about them. Will this be a problem? The only thing I know is in what semester of high school they occurred.

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Criminal Addendum Help

Postby saltoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 pm

a month and year should be enough




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.