Should I criticize lawyers in my PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
The Truth

New

Should I criticize lawyers in my PS?

Post by The Truth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks
Last edited by The Truth on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Re: Should I criticize lawyers in my PS?

Post by gdane » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Scrap it. Its widely known that the stuff one does in law school isnt the same as what one does in real practice. A lot of people say that 3 years of law school in no way prepared them for the bar exam. So "playing lawyer" wouldnt help you.

In any case, just dont do it. Find something better to talk about.

Good luck!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 pm

If you are already laying the smackdown on trained legal professionals, then why do you need three years of law school? JK of course!
gdane5 wrote:Scrap it. Its widely known that the stuff one does in law school isnt the same as what one does in real practice. A lot of people say that 3 years of law school in no way prepared them for the bar exam. So "playing lawyer" wouldnt help you.

In any case, just dont do it. Find something better to talk about.
I respectfully disagree with this.

I could see where this story could be crafted into a solid PS about dedication and commitment to a goal. Just make sure your don't come off as condescending or say anything too negative about the legal profession.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:35 pm

You shouldn't criticize lawyers in your PS; your PS should not have a negative tone. But it sounds like this anecdote could be part of a PS about how awesome you are (and not about how much lawyers suck).

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:41 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:You shouldn't criticize lawyers in your PS; your PS should not have a negative tone. But it sounds like this anecdote could be part of a PS about how awesome you are (and not about how much lawyers suck).
I agree with this. In addition to speaking to your awesomeness, you might draw on how that experience led you to want to become an attorney (if that's the case).

FWIW, I criticized buyers in my fashion school application and got in. Of course, I may have gotten in despite my PS, but I think I worded it such that it showed what drew me to Fashion Merchandising.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Three years of law school will certainly help one with the bar exam. Most law students , however, do take a bar review course prior to taking a bar exam.
Regarding the OP's question: Do you think that criticising lawyers in your personal statement is your strongest selling point to law schools ?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I think you need to be careful how you phrase it - it could come off successful but that really depends on your writing style.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:31 pm

I think the question is misleading. Don't criticize lawyers in your PS but you CAN focus on the ideas that you brought up (overcoming setback, being a go-getter, problem-solver etc) and use that situation as an example. Just say you were frustrated after approaching (some/certain) lawyers and then launch into how you researched and approached the problem and the outcome.

The Truth

New

Post by The Truth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 pm

[quote="JJDancer"]I think the question is misleading. Don't criticize lawyers in your PS but you CAN focus on the ideas that you brought up (overcoming setback, being a go-getter, problem-solver etc) and use that situation as an example. Just say you were frustrated after approaching (some/certain) lawyers and then launch into how you researched and approached the problem and the outcome.[/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”