Projecting a "conistent" image in PS + 'Why X' essays

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
amkid100

Projecting a "conistent" image in PS + 'Why X' essays

Postby amkid100 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 pm

i just finished writing my personal statement on an experience that informed my interest in the criminal justice system and am about to start writing "why x" essays. while i am interested in potentially being an ada or ausa, i am not positive and do not commit to this prospect anywhere in my personal statement. i am also very interested in immigration law and studied political asylum law extensively as an undergrad. michigan, cornell and georgetown all have very renowned asylum advocacy clinics that i would like to mention in my "why x" essay, but i'm afraid that highlighting an interest in immigration law might detract from the strength of my personal statement and make me come across as too unfocused.

does anyone have any ideas about this?

also, is it ok to reference conversations with friends who currently attend the law schools?

thanks.

tourdeforcex

Re: Projecting a "conistent" image in PS + 'Why X' essays

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:14 am

a personal statement is a personal statement, a statement about your person. it is not required that you present your entire soul for consideration. at least that's how i understand it. it is fine if you demonstrate a specific desire in your Why X but don't mention it in your PS.

definitely ok to reference conversations w/ friends currently at law schools. especially michigan. michigan students, profs, and alum love other michigan students, profs, and alum.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:15 am

oh and please be more careful spelling in your PS and Why X than in the title of this thread.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:47 am

tourdeforcex wrote:oh and please be more careful spelling in your PS and Why X than in the title of this thread.

i can't believe a simple typo on an internet forum warranted such a snide and obnoxious remark...obviously i'll be editing and re-reading my applications a thousand times over.

that being said, thank you for your input above.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”