Please Delete

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jaydizzle

Please Delete

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:42 pm

New one coming soon.
Last edited by jaydizzle on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

lennonist

Re: Take a look at my PS, farm boy in Poland to learning English

Postby lennonist » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:47 pm

pan jaydizzle, this is more of a diversity statement than a personal statement. It's more of a bio than reasons why you should get a J.D.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Well damn it. I was hoping it was a good personal statement. I was researching a bit, and it seems as if schools were saying that you can talk about anything in the personal statement.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

This isn't a good personal statement because it doesn't give us any insight into you as an adult. I mentioned immigration and ESL classes in my PS, and I know that those can be formative experiences. But I don't think you should make something that happened before puberty the sole focus of your personal statement.

Also, as everyone always says on TLS, you shouldn't use a quote in your personal statement. You have very limited space, and you want to fill it with your own words.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Any of you might PMing me your PS, so I can get a better sense of what to write about? I was reading some here, and I thought I was on the right track. I guess not. Ah my November 1st goal is slipping...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:20 pm

I feel like if you write about choosing to go to law school, people on TLS will come in and say "You didn't tell me about yourself" and if you write about yourself "You didn't tell me why you should go to LS"

..... am I right?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I feel like if you write about choosing to go to law school, people on TLS will come in and say "You didn't tell me about yourself" and if you write about yourself "You didn't tell me why you should go to LS"

..... am I right?

That's what I am finding. I guess I have to scrap this or make it my diversity statement? Damn, I am stumped now.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I feel like if you write about choosing to go to law school, people on TLS will come in and say "You didn't tell me about yourself" and if you write about yourself "You didn't tell me why you should go to LS"

..... am I right?

That's what I am finding. I guess I have to scrap this or make it my diversity statement? Damn, I am stumped now.

I don't know. I'm beginning to think that some people expect every PS to be an award winning piece of literature. Without tragic events/difficult circumstances/stories of helping disadvantaged people directly I'm having a hard time with my PS.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the help!

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 am

Can a mod please delete this?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”