Has anyone done a problem-solution personal statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Has anyone done a problem-solution personal statement?

Postby awilson11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:22 pm

I have something that I have written for fun that is a solution to a problem, and in the personal statement advice section of TLS, it suggests this structure for statements. I've been stuck on mine for a while, this one is well written and been well received by those who read it and is a great example of my writing style and analytical ability. I roughly rewrote it in a format more like a personal statement, but I don't see many examples of this type of personal statement anywhere. Anyne have any experience with it?

Re: Has anyone done a problem-solution personal statement?

Postby shoop » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 pm

I am currently working on a statement SORTA along these lines. I have a skill/hobby that lets me make very particular objects for very particular needs and/or tastes. Most people just shop until they find the right one; I figure out exactly what I want, then figure out what it will take to produce it. I will tie this into law by making references to the way I think about the process, and then relate it to my future legal career as a "I will make my career what I want it to be, even if it's not quite like everyone else's." People here generally disliked my earlier version, but I'd be happy to trade with you over PM once my current draft is done.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”