Change from Dental School--include in Personal Statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dent2law

Change from Dental School--include in Personal Statement?

Postby dent2law » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:08 pm

I originally went through college for three years with the intention of going to dental school, and was subsequently a biology major. When I actually shadowed a dentist, however, I decided that that line of work is not for me. Obviously, having invested three years into my biology major, I wasn't going to change at the last minute and delay my graduation. I began shadowing a lawyer and realized that this was what I wanted to do. In my personal statement, I was wondering if I should include the fact that I wanted to be a dentist and changed my mind or if the admissions officers will assume that I got a bad grade or something of that nature (my grades are fine), or that I am just a flake and couldn't commit to one career? I guess on one hand, this detail does make me somewhat unique, and I know that it is rather cliche (and would also be a lie) to say "I've wanted to be an attorney since the day I was born." Any input or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

eandy

Re: Change from Dental School--include in Personal Statement?

Postby eandy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:09 pm

You should probably shadow an attorney and see if you flake out on that before you spend $$ on LS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:09 pm

They won't care that you were a bio major.

dent2law

Postby dent2law » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:12 pm

I have shadowed an attorney, talked with several law students and practicing lawyers, and am very committed to this now. I was just wondering whether the fact that I had a previous career objective that was completely unrelated to the practice of law would reflect negatively if disclosed in my application.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Political science is probably about as related to law as biology is.

casper13

Postby casper13 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Yeah dont tell anything about your plans. As long as you have decent grades the bio major can help, you cxan take the patent bar and be a little more attractive to employers.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:21 pm

They get applications all the time from people who started freshman year thinking they'd do something else, doctor, dentist, teacher. . . . not a problem, you didn't actually start dental school and drop out. . .that might have been frowned upon.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:22 pm

You aren't the only premed/vet/dent that does to law school.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”