PS too risky?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Jack Smirks

Re: PS too risky?

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:55 pm

slg123 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Maybe you're just looking for what you want to hear. While the previous responses have reflected an LSAT-worthy false dichotomy, here is an alternative perspective: As the good writer that you are, you have the capability of keeping this interesting theme (which you seem quite attached to) and reworking it, making it much more about you than about these other men. If I were you, I would spend 75% less space telling each man's life story (which contributes nothing) and instead spend that space talking about their individual impacts on you and the consequences of those relationships. If you can do that, you've got a unique, interesting, and most importantly, effective PS.

I like where you're going with this.

I thought about recommending this but I think it will be extremely difficult to personalize this statement while maintaining the relevancy of the four other individuals' stories and relating it to your own.. all in under two pages. If you think you can do it good luck, but I think the risk of turning this into a jumblefucked idea outweighs the reward of the unique approach.
Last edited by Jack Smirks on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am

slg123 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I have a feeling OP got this idea from the 55 Successful Harvard Law School Application Essays book. There is an essay in there that is remarkably similar to this idea. However, it is a risky topic, IMHO. It could be done well, and I agree with others saying that it would need to be strengthened in the personal aspect of it. If you have other solid ideas, I would avoid this one (especially since Adcomms have likely read the "55 Successful..." that this is so similar to).

My $.02

Actually, I got this idea from reading a different book talking about character sketches. It talked about trying to write about myself by writing about what I've learned from/how I see other people. I thought I would give it a try.

Either way, there is a published essay that is remarkably similar to this style. It could work, but it could blow up in your face as a result. Your title to this thread is asking whether it is too risky or not... Given the published essay that is so similar, I would vote too risky. But, like most things law school related, it comes down to your own personal level of risk-aversion.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am

Think of the characters as little windows that allow the reader to peer deep into OP's soul.

Better yet, think of each character as a metaphor for a distinct aspect of OP's life.

Just kidding... but seriously.

stephan75th

Postby stephan75th » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:05 am

I like what you have going here. You could definitely refine this and make it stronger.

slg123

Postby slg123 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:12 am

birdlaw117 wrote: But, like most things law school related, it comes down to your own personal level of risk-aversion.

You are right about that. Although I was kind of having fun writing this essay, I suppose it will depend on next weekend and what score comes back. Maybe I will send it to some of the safer schools.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:14 am

"I bring up each one of these men because their stories and lives had a profound impact on me." If you have to tell me why you're telling me, you haven't done a good job with the telling. And don't tell me that other people found you interesting -- interest me.

Also, your "plight?" Seriously?

This essay may be "risky," but more importantly, it's very self-indulgent and not very good.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 am

slg123 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: But, like most things law school related, it comes down to your own personal level of risk-aversion.

You are right about that. Although I was kind of having fun writing this essay, I suppose it will depend on next weekend and what score comes back. Maybe I will send it to some of the safer schools.

I would actually recommend the opposite. If you have a risky personal statement, use it on your reach schools. A safe personal statement may not get the job done, but if you get an adcomm that really loves your essay, you might get in somewhere you would be waitlisted or dinged.

Again, just my $.02

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”