How "personal" should a personal statement be? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Shooter

Bronze

How "personal" should a personal statement be?

Post by Shooter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi guys. Quick question:

My personal statement is kinda personal, but not very. Is this a problem?

bostlaw

Bronze

Re: How "personal" should a personal statement be?

Post by bostlaw » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:28 pm

perhaps provide detail and check back.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Ok, good idea.

As it stands now, my personal statement outlines my intellectual interests/career goals and explains what motivated me to study law. It is very concise and there aren't many adjectives. It doesn't really portray any personal growth and I don't analyze my feelings or anything.

I think that it does a great job communicating why I would fit in at the schools I'm applying to, but emotion is probably lacking.

Does this help?

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:06 pm

are you an engineer? then it's fine.

oh, you aren't. well, that's fine too.

a personal statement does not need to be very "personal". but we should be able to know "Shooter" the person behind the GPA, the LSAT, the awards, achievements. Does "Shooter" like butterflies? personal growth can be helpful if you are in UG or fresh out. feelings aren't necessary but can be helpful.

have some people read the PS. have some profs read if you are cool w/ any.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 pm

I wrote a PS about my experience moving to a new city and applying some themes/ideas i had learned along the way into seeing things from a different perspective. It wasnt that great and everyone said it needed more "personal" stuff. How do you suggest coherently weaving in personal growth without it sounding forced?

For example my recent job I was in a leadership position, supervising people twice my age. I'm struggling with how I can effectively communicate this without it coming out sounding trite and just a resume restatement....

New

Post by 190 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I wrote a PS about my experience moving to a new city and applying some themes/ideas i had learned along the way into seeing things from a different perspective. It wasnt that great and everyone said it needed more "personal" stuff. How do you suggest coherently weaving in personal growth without it sounding forced?

For example my recent job I was in a leadership position, supervising people twice my age. I'm struggling with how I can effectively communicate this without it coming out sounding trite and just a resume restatement....
Consider reflecting on a specific incident and then in the last paragraph or so go in to a broad statement about that incident and others, its somewhat easier to do and often more powerful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”