Which PS Topic should I choose? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
achilles

Bronze

Which PS Topic should I choose?

Post by achilles » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:12 pm

I've had a pretty vanilla life: white, middle-class, a couple internships, club VP position, nothing special really.

I've narrowed my choices down to two. I hope to tie the essay in to my work ethic, determination and/or intellectual curiosity

1) fly fishing and a lesson my dad taught me. I will link this to my intellectual curiosity and determination

2) My struggles with a hip disease I had when I was young, and still suffer from now. I'll talk about how I had to work hard to achieve a sports goal, and how the experience as a whole made me a stronger, more mature person

I'm worried that option 2 will come off as too "oh poor me", which I don't want.

I have written rough intro paragraphs, but don't want to post them here. If someone's willing to give an opinion, I will PM them. Thanks!

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Which PS Topic should I choose?

Post by tourdeforcex » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:30 pm

feel free to PM

1) risks being cheesy
2) risks as you said, poor me, but w/ the right tone, could work.

also curious about other factors. are you school? if so, then perhaps better to emphasize the maturity. did you dominate school (3.8+ GPA)? if your grades aren't too great, intellectual curiousity and determination might not play well.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”