Diversity Statement Q Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
n_gal

New

Diversity Statement Q

Post by n_gal » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Hey, I just wanted to get some opinions because I don't know that there is a right answer to this question but do you guys think that if I am checking that I am a URM (I'm half Mexican) I have to write my diversity statement on that? I don't really have any strong essay ideas for that topic, but I I have other ideas, so what do you all think?
Thanks1

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Diversity Statement Q

Post by tourdeforcex » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:37 pm

my opinion: if you are checking you are an URM, you probably should write a diversity statement.

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:56 pm

thanks for the response, that wasn't really my question though. I was asking if my DS should be on being a URM or can it be on something else? I'm asking because I feel I can write a stronger statement about a different type of diversity than I could about my ethnicity.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Write your DS on anything that makes you diverse. If you were LGBT you could write about that, if you were [insert religion here] you could write about that, it doesn't have to be about ethnicity/race. That being said, ethnicity/race is often easiest for people to write about, but I don't think if you are a URM and you write about some other diversity characteristic other than URM that they are all of a sudden not going to treat you like a URM.

hawaii

New

Post by hawaii » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:09 pm

I dont think your diversity statement needs to be about you ethnic background. I know I read on a few apps that your diversity statment can be about things like coming from a disadvantaged socioeconomic background and stuff like that.

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Great, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”