Unique Addendum - Yay or Nay?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
heroin(e)

Unique Addendum - Yay or Nay?

Postby heroin(e) » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:06 am

Hello all,

Longtime follower of TLS and decided to (finally) join the forum to take advantage of all the excellent advice.

I am applying for Fall 2011. My application status is unique (at least so I think - I recognize I may not be very special) and I am wondering if it warrants an addendum.

So here's the situation:

I am applying as an International Applicant (from Canada). For any IA to enrol in a US institution, they are required to obtain an Immigrant Visa. Typically this means being sponsored by the university. It also means providing proof of sufficient financial support, considering FAFSA is not an option for non-US students. There are some other minor stipulations for international applicants. For example, most LSAC applications require me to select what type of Visa I will use to enter the US, but they don't have an option for K1 (the type that applies to me) since this is not a student related Visa.

However, I am marrying my fiance in April 2011, who is a US citizen. This means I will be entering the US on a separate Visa, different from the ones typically required for international students. I am also applying for Permanent Residency, which could potentially be approved by the start of classes. At the very least, it will be completed by the start of 2L, making me no longer an international student. Finally, it means I will be eligible for financial aid by the start of 2L, and perhaps as early as 1L.

Is it worthwhile to write a short addendum simply detailing that, while I am applying as an International Applicant, this category won't apply to me by the time of enrolment? Or should I leave it be and deal with it upon admission?

ccourt14

Re: Unique Addendum - Yay or Nay?

Postby ccourt14 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:46 pm

I would say leave it be, but that is definitely a question any school would better be able to answer. Call one of them up and see what they say.

heroin(e)

Re: Unique Addendum - Yay or Nay?

Postby heroin(e) » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Good idea - thanks for the input.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”