Diversity Statement/Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
X_Soda

Diversity Statement/Personal Statement

Postby X_Soda » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I had a personal statement dealing with my pursuit of the Spanish language, but I've changed my mind about it. Instead, my personal statement will be about the role of hip hop music in my life, with about a paragraph detailing its connection to my Spanish-learning pursuits. Given this, would it be appropriate to include a diversity statement as well detailing my knowledge of Spanish and involvement with Hispanic communities? Or will this just sound too much like desperately reaching for some type of diversity? I think I can make a good case that the perspectives I've gained through my studies are somewhat unique, but I'm not sure how the adcomms would view the concept.

X_Soda

Re: Diversity Statement/Personal Statement

Postby X_Soda » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:06 pm

No input, friends?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't see where this could go wrong.

ccourt14

Postby ccourt14 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:42 pm

I definitely think you would be fine writing your diversity statement about your experiences with the Hispanic community. My diversity statement and I am sure many others was about my experience of my semester abroad. It does make you unique and different than students who didn't have that experience.

That being said...if you are going to write your whole diversity statement about it, I am not sure you need or or would even want to include any of that in your personal statement. The personal statement is so limited as it is with the page limits that I would try to include new information.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”