AHHHHHHH

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lulu12

AHHHHHHH

Postby lulu12 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Is anyone else freaking out right now about statements? I have written draft upon draft and now I have so many drafts on different topics that I have no idea which to use. Blergh. I'm also a splitter, so a good PS might actually change my application cycle a bit. But that also means I should apply as early as possible, which isn't happening because I haven't finished this statement! :x

Sorry, needed to vent. Good luck to everyone!

bk1

Re: AHHHHHHH

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Chill.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Lulu, you got this. No worries.

lulu12

Postby lulu12 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks, guys. You know how stressful this all can be. :? Hopefully it'll all pay off though, right?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Lulu - it will be okay. If you want to PM me some ideas you're having or specific issues and the like, I can totally look over them tomorrow and give you some advice. You will be fine--just take it seriously and get other people to look at it.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Today is the first day I sat down to THINK about statements. Now I'm super worried that 2 weeks to a month will not be enough to polish this thing out - especially since I don't even know WHAT I am writing about yet. Maybe I should not have waited until after the Oct LSAT to think about this.. ughhhh.

But deep down I'm pretty sure we will both be fine. I feel a sense of comaraderie knowing that I'm not the only one that's freaking out a bit.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 pm

JJDancer wrote:Today is the first day I sat down to THINK about statements. Now I'm super worried that 2 weeks to a month will not be enough to polish this thing out - especially since I don't even know WHAT I am writing about yet. Maybe I should not have waited until after the Oct LSAT to think about this.. ughhhh.

But deep down I'm pretty sure we will both be fine. I feel a sense of comaraderie knowing that I'm not the only one that's freaking out a bit.

you've got a month to finish it and still submit early.

Don't stress yourself out about it. Just keep a pad nearby at all times and jot down ideas as they come. Maybe schedule a block of 30 minutes each day for a week to dedicate to thinking about topics and just sit down where you're comfortable, look at your resume/transcript/photos and just think. If nothing jumps out at you after a week, choose the best topics out of what you have and just write some rough drafts. You might find that once you start writing, the words pour out of your mouth and it becomes a matter of cutting down what you want to say to be as concise but moving as possible.

RambleOn

Postby RambleOn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 pm

lulu12 wrote:Is anyone else freaking out right now about statements? I have written draft upon draft and now I have so many drafts on different topics that I have no idea which to use. Blergh. I'm also a splitter, so a good PS might actually change my application cycle a bit. But that also means I should apply as early as possible, which isn't happening because I haven't finished this statement! :x

Don't worry, you're not the only one; I feel EXACTLY the same way. I have written several different drafts on about five different topics so far and just end up hating all of them. I really wanted to have my applications in by this weekend at the latest, but its not looking so good.

I think I'm just going to have to quit over-analyzing every little detail, suck it up and just pick one. If you decide on a draft to go with and want to swap statements (or want help choosing), let me know!

Flett

Postby Flett » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm

lulu12 wrote:Is anyone else freaking out right now about statements? I have written draft upon draft and now I have so many drafts on different topics that I have no idea which to use. Blergh. I'm also a splitter, so a good PS might actually change my application cycle a bit. But that also means I should apply as early as possible, which isn't happening because I haven't finished this statement! :x

I'm not quite freaking out, but... my DS is turning out to be MUCH harder to write than my PS was, so I can kind of relate.

No need for you to worry though, I'm sure you'll bust out a rockin' PS soon! :D

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm

As much as the LSAT/LOR processes were, the PS/DS/essay portion of the application was definitely the worst. My advice would be just to force out an essay, even if its terrible, then edit, rewrite, edit, rewrite, and let others you trust edit it and then rewrite it again. My first draft was awful in terms of execution but okay in terms of concept; after a number of rewrites, it ended up being good.

In other words, fake it 'til you make it and then edit edit edit. Good luck.

lulu12

Postby lulu12 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear I'm not alone! Haha

JJDancer--It's still way early, so no worries. I just want to apply early b/c of my splitter stats and because I've been working on these for so long that I'm just bored of doing them!

MichaelB123

Postby MichaelB123 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Haha, you're all probably fucked. I've already sent in all my apps. Have fun being rejected from everywhere you apply!

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Getting your apps in before Thanksgiving break is still considered "early." You guys will be fine. It took me five pre-liminary drafts until I was even ready to settle on a topic that I was interested in exploring. My advice is write about five totally different things. Look at the drafts, choose two, and then post the two drafts on the forum to receive feedback from other TLS users.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Haha, you're all probably fucked. I've already sent in all my apps. Have fun being rejected from everywhere you apply!

*eye roll* Yes because no one with a 169-3.8 is going to take your spot somewhere when they apply with a great PS on Dec 1.....and they will also somehow be tragically rejected from EVERYWHERE they apply..
you are so correct.

Bad karma...and just plain fallacious and stupid

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:59 pm

JJDancer wrote:*eye roll* Yes because no one with a 169-3.8 is going to take your spot somewhere when they apply with a great PS on Dec 1.....and they will also somehow be tragically rejected from EVERYWHERE they apply..
you are so correct.

Bad karma...and just plain fallacious and stupid

Somebody just doesn't get the funnies.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”