Need an objective, critical review of my PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Lady_In_Red
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby Lady_In_Red » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:54 pm

.
Last edited by Lady_In_Red on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asoli
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby asoli » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 pm

I would rewrite your second paragraph. It comes accross in the wrong way to me, but I can't really describe why. The point of it is essential to the PS though, so I would just try rewriting it to come accross less omnipotent.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:45 pm

asoli wrote:I would rewrite your second paragraph. It comes accross in the wrong way to me, but I can't really describe why. The point of it is essential to the PS though, so I would just try rewriting it to come accross less omnipotent.


Agreed. I did not like the 2nd paragraph at all. It sounds incredibly pompous. Way too much "however, therefore, thus, additionally, yet." And saying that you "deduced" that she'd fall from "acute observations" is just grating. This is not Sherlock Holmes finding the purloined letter, this is having the common sense to see that ill-equipped hikers in bad terrain are likely to get hurt. Duh.

Perhaps it could be rewritten with less emphasis on the brilliance of your deductive powers and more on your attempts to convince the stubborn head counselor to take another route home, your frustration at being unsuccessful, and your subsequent decision to become a better advocate for yourself and the things you believe in.

Lady_In_Red
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby Lady_In_Red » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah I think I get what you all are saying about the 2nd paragraph. Any opinions about the way it ends though?

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Lady_In_Red wrote:Yeah I think I get what you all are saying about the 2nd paragraph. Any opinions about the way it ends though?


The second paragraph needs to be redone, but that's all I'll say about that in an effort to not be too redundant.

I'm not quite sure I like the topic, either. You go from a mountain climbing accident to social justice. Social justice is interesting, but it's not personal. I can understand that you want to make the world and the legal environment more accessible for all, but it's just not personal enough for you (a personal story about someone who was tyrannized by lack of access is perfect).

I think it needs a lot of work. Your writing style isn't the problem (which is a good thing). Rather, and i'm sure you'll hate this, I would recommend a new topic.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Is this the same draft you were looking to swap?

Lady_In_Red
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby Lady_In_Red » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Yea Chris this was the same one I wanted to swap


Jerry, what specifically do you mean by it needs a lot of work? I agree that mountain climbing and social justice are not necessarily compatible topics, but in the context of my PS, I thought I tied them together along the advocacy theme. Is the advocacy theme not salient enough for you?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Lady_In_Red wrote:Yea Chris this was the same one I wanted to swap


Jerry, what specifically do you mean by it needs a lot of work? I agree that mountain climbing and social justice are not necessarily compatible topics, but in the context of my PS, I thought I tied them together along the advocacy theme. Is the advocacy theme not salient enough for you?


I think the issue is that it seems like you had to make the mountain climbing story into social advocacy. With your sociology degree, did you ever do clinics or internships where you got to work with the people you're talking about? If what you're interested in is advocacy, I think you really need to talk about your past experiences with it and other nonprofit, volunteer experiences. There are a lot of people who have spent years of their lives working toward advocacy goals before law school and, not to be harsh, but if you don't have much experience with it, I would advice against focusing your PS on that.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Anybody willing to read my PS? I am willing to swap PS's as well.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:52 pm

URMdan wrote:Anybody willing to read my PS? I am willing to swap PS's as well.


I won't have time tonight, but I can take a look tomorrow morning if you want to PM it to me.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Need an objective, critical review of my PS

Postby URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm

paratactical wrote:
URMdan wrote:Anybody willing to read my PS? I am willing to swap PS's as well.


I won't have time tonight, but I can take a look tomorrow morning if you want to PM it to me.


Thanks!




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.