Dialogue to start off personal statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Steppinchoi

Dialogue to start off personal statement?

Postby Steppinchoi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

I know it's taboo to quote a well-known person in your personal statement, but do you guys think it's acceptable to use a quote from a conversation between myself and another person? It really introduces the rest of my PS quite nicely... what are your thoughts?

kalvano

Re: Dialogue to start off personal statement?

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Stay away from quotes or anything of the sort.

djjf39

Re: Quote to start off personal statement?

Postby djjf39 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:30 pm

OP, I was pondering just such a question a while back when I was writing my PS. I eventually decided I would rather devote the space the quote took up to something more germane as to why I should be accepted into X law school. Basically, while the quote did nicely introduce and frame the story, by doing away with the verbatim quote I was able to save a tons of space.

Remember a crucial aspect of a successful PS is omitting extraneous details/facts; you want to be pithy. If you can do without the quote I would. If you are not stressed about length, then I would encourage you to move the quote to the end of the introductory paragraph to make the quote more significant and meaningful. Also, if the quote is not tied into the rest of your PS, then I would really, really think about dropping it.

Just my two cents, I am sure others will disagree.

Good luck.

Steppinchoi

Postby Steppinchoi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 pm

The thing is, this dialogue is a crucial part of my PS... the best I could do is insert a sentence before it, but I really think it would take away from the statement in general (not to mention push it over the 2 page limit)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Steppinchoi wrote:The thing is, this dialogue is a crucial part of my PS... the best I could do is insert a sentence before it, but I really think it would take away from the statement in general (not to mention push it over the 2 page limit)

Of course it's crucial...to you.

Dialogue / quotes / proverbs / etc., are usually handled so poorly that whatever they might bring to the PS is easily outweighed by the risk.

Don't do it.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
Steppinchoi wrote:The thing is, this dialogue is a crucial part of my PS... the best I could do is insert a sentence before it, but I really think it would take away from the statement in general (not to mention push it over the 2 page limit)

Of course it's crucial...to you.

Dialogue / quotes / proverbs / etc., are usually handled so poorly that whatever they might bring to the PS is easily outweighed by the risk.

Don't do it.

Real answer is 'it depends'
If you're just trying to quote someone important/get in a 'look I know someone important' (be honest with yourself. Is this what you're doing?) then the answer is no. If you're quoting someone, because it's a pivotal experience, or an example of a strong theme in your feel (strong obvious example, like racial profiling etc.) then it's okay.
In other circumstances, it's usually not okay :/

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:49 pm

The only exception to this rule is the guy who wanted to quote "Fuck Tha Police" in his PS.

That is perfectly acceptable.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:53 pm

huge space-waster, as mentioned above. Aside, it waters down the seriousness of your purportedly professional tone. (would you quote a dialogue at an interview or in a public speech? - hardly. think of the PS in terms of those things).

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Any PS that doesn't start with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." is crap.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”