Should I write a diversity statement? (Advice please!) Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jamiLAW

Bronze

Should I write a diversity statement? (Advice please!)

Post by jamiLAW » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 pm

So I wrote my personal statement about being raised being part of a Muslim family and the challenges I have faced in America because of that.

Half of the schools I'm filling out applications for give me the option of including a diversity statement. Here's my question to you: should I write a diversity statement even though my personal statement is about my cultural/religious diversity? Most advice from people I know is "it can't hurt"...but I feel like if I re-state my personal statement but with less effort, it can hurt my application. Or, I can try to think of another way I'm diverse, but perhaps this is overkill.

Lol I really don't know what to do, so if you all have any suggestions it would be awesome!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Re: Should I write a diversity statement? (Advice please!)

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:43 pm

jamiLAW wrote:So I wrote my personal statement about being raised being part of a Muslim family and the challenges I have faced in America because of that.

Half of the schools I'm filling out applications for give me the option of including a diversity statement. Here's my question to you: should I write a diversity statement even though my personal statement is about my cultural/religious diversity? Most advice from people I know is "it can't hurt"...but I feel like if I re-state my personal statement but with less effort, it can hurt my application. Or, I can try to think of another way I'm diverse, but perhaps this is overkill.

Lol I really don't know what to do, so if you all have any suggestions it would be awesome!
If you're just restating your PS don't do it.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Re: Should I write a diversity statement? (Advice please!)

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 pm

jamiLAW wrote:So I wrote my personal statement about being raised being part of a Muslim family and the challenges I have faced in America because of that.

Do you have any other obstacles you've overcome that you'd like the Adcomms to know about? If so then write a PS and make your PS your DS.
If not, then you're fine, don't worry about it. That sounds like a good PS :)
Good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”