wtf is a diversity statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
romothesavior

Re: wtf is a diversity statement

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 pm

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:47 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
Ascend wrote:So, would it be advantageous then to save the "overcoming disability" write up for a diversity statement and pick something else for a PS? Or does it depend on how substantive of an obstacle the disability was to overcome - in that, if it was a "big deal", better to focus on it in the PS and simply forgo the diversity statement)?

I think the stronger topic should be your PS -- whatever tells the adcomms the most about you. I don't believe diversity statements are necessary, even if you have many "diverse" traits. I'm gay, non-American, non-white and not writing a diversity statement (though my PS and "Why X" essays both incorporate diversity traits).

If you're a URM, I'd strongly recommend writing a DS. Unless you're black, and then I suppose it's not necessary for the boost, although I think adcoms might appreciate it.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:49 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:I wrote a pretty terrible one last time I applied, multiple typos and such. Didn't hurt. I think just writing the additional statements shows initiative that the schools like, they probably dont read them. Just figured I would atleast put some effort into this one. Also I am not from a foreign country I just worded that example wierd. I guess I'll just say some stock lines about being analytical and having a different knowledge set to draw on.

Also I just prefer the Vancouver version of the grizz.

Go ahead and write a DS, your chances will be hurt because, as previously mentioned, you are NOT diverse.

DS is for URMs or foreigners to show their superiority over ignorant WASPY Americans in an attempt to create a better law school freshman class. EDIT: Canada is NOT a foreign country.

Fin.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
Ascend wrote:So, would it be advantageous then to save the "overcoming disability" write up for a diversity statement and pick something else for a PS? Or does it depend on how substantive of an obstacle the disability was to overcome - in that, if it was a "big deal", better to focus on it in the PS and simply forgo the diversity statement)?

I think the stronger topic should be your PS -- whatever tells the adcomms the most about you. I don't believe diversity statements are necessary, even if you have many "diverse" traits. I'm gay, non-American, non-white and not writing a diversity statement (though my PS and "Why X" essays both incorporate diversity traits).

If you're a URM, I'd strongly recommend writing a DS. Unless you're black, and then I suppose it's not necessary for the boost, although I think adcoms might appreciate it.

Ha, not URM. Asian (the South kind, not the East kind)... so, ORM.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:27 pm

lennonist wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:I wrote a pretty terrible one last time I applied, multiple typos and such. Didn't hurt. I think just writing the additional statements shows initiative that the schools like, they probably dont read them. Just figured I would atleast put some effort into this one. Also I am not from a foreign country I just worded that example wierd. I guess I'll just say some stock lines about being analytical and having a different knowledge set to draw on.

Also I just prefer the Vancouver version of the grizz.

Go ahead and write a DS, your chances will be hurt because, as previously mentioned, you are NOT diverse.

DS is for URMs or foreigners to show their superiority over ignorant WASPY Americans in an attempt to create a better law school freshman class. EDIT: Canada is NOT a foreign country.

Fin.

FAIL. GTFO

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”