wtf is a diversity statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
OrdinarilySkilled

wtf is a diversity statement

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:13 pm

I am trying to write a diversity statement, but my only "diversity" is the fact that I an engineering major. Wtf is a diversity statement anyway? I am different and therefore there will be differences? I guess I am just trying to figure out what I am supposed to be saying that is going to help me. My drafts so far have just sort of come off as, "umm I'm smarter than most people applying to law school", which probably won't help. What is my conclusion?

Someone please address diversity statements that don't involve overcoming something. Tks much.

s0ph1e2007

Re: wtf is a diversity statement

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:I am trying to write a diversity statement, but my only "diversity" is the fact that I an engineering major. Wtf is a diversity statement anyway? I am different and therefore there will be differences? I guess I am just trying to figure out what I am supposed to be saying that is going to help me. My drafts so far have just sort of come off as, "umm I'm smarter than most people applying to law school", which probably won't help. What is my conclusion?

Someone please address diversity statements. Tks much.

I would say flame but this would be a bad one

You don't write a diversity statement unless you have a racial or cultural or orientation etc. aspect of you that would add to the diversity of campus. Engineering major won't cut it, so don't write one.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 pm

You're not diverse. Don't write a DS.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:20 pm

bk1 wrote:You're not diverse. Don't write a DS.

Its an optional statement and the prompts suggest differences in educational background. Either way, I am asking what someone that is diverse is writing about... I am a from a different country so there will be one more person from this country? Whats the payoff of the diversity statement.

tlc

Postby tlc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Would religion or large amounts of community service qualify an applicant to write a Diversity Statement?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:I am trying to write a diversity statement, but my only "diversity" is the fact that I an engineering major. Wtf is a diversity statement anyway? I am different and therefore there will be differences? I guess I am just trying to figure out what I am supposed to be saying that is going to help me. My drafts so far have just sort of come off as, "umm I'm smarter than most people applying to law school", which probably won't help. What is my conclusion?

Someone please address diversity statements that don't involve overcoming something. Tks much.

You can probably find something better to right about, you're just not trying hard enough.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 pm

There isn't much payoff. Minimal chance of helping you and only if well-written. Decent chance of hurting you if crappy.

If you are from a foreign country, write about that. Basically show the adcomms how you are not WASPy.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 pm

tlc wrote:Would religion or large amounts of community service qualify an applicant to write a Diversity Statement?

As a general rule, don't write about religion. It's hard to do right.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:24 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
bk1 wrote:You're not diverse. Don't write a DS.

Its an optional statement and the prompts suggest differences in educational background. Either way, I am asking what someone that is diverse is writing about... I am a from a different country so there will be one more person from this country? Whats the payoff of the diversity statement.

If you're from Canada, don't write about that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:25 pm

CastleRock wrote:If you're from Canada, don't write about that.

I lol'ed.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

bk1 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:If you're from Canada, don't write about that.

I lol'ed.

Well, we can either assume he's from Canada with his Grizzlies tar, or we can assume he's an immigrant from Asia because he likely lives in Vancouver. One way he's just from Canada, who cares, the other way he is an over-represented minority, again, who cares.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 pm

CastleRock wrote:Well, we can either assume he's from Canada with his Grizzlies tar, or we can assume he's an immigrant from Asia because he likely lives in Vancouver. One way he's just from Canada, who cares, the other way he is an over-represented minority, again, who cares.

I didn't even notice the tar/make the connection. :oops:

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm

bk1 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Well, we can either assume he's from Canada with his Grizzlies tar, or we can assume he's an immigrant from Asia because he likely lives in Vancouver. One way he's just from Canada, who cares, the other way he is an over-represented minority, again, who cares.

I didn't even notice the tar/make the connection. :oops:

Yea, I know it was funnier when it just seemed like random Canada trolling, but's that's not likely from me.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm

I wrote a pretty terrible one last time I applied, multiple typos and such. Didn't hurt. I think just writing the additional statements shows initiative that the schools like, they probably dont read them. Just figured I would atleast put some effort into this one. Also I am not from a foreign country I just worded that example wierd. I guess I'll just say some stock lines about being analytical and having a different knowledge set to draw on.

Also I just prefer the Vancouver version of the grizz.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:34 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:I wrote a pretty terrible one last time I applied, multiple typos and such. Didn't hurt. I think just writing the additional statements shows initiative that the schools like, they probably dont read them. Just figured I would atleast put some effort into this one. Also I am not from a foreign country I just worded that example wierd. I guess I'll just say some stock lines about being analytical and having a different knowledge set to draw on.

Don't write it if you aren't going to do it well. Everyone is diverse in some way, find what makes you diverse. Being an Engineer isn't diverse, even in lawschool. There's a ton of engineers on this forum. It doesn't make you a special snowflake. Find something else or don't write it.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 pm

CastleRock wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:I wrote a pretty terrible one last time I applied, multiple typos and such. Didn't hurt. I think just writing the additional statements shows initiative that the schools like, they probably dont read them. Just figured I would atleast put some effort into this one. Also I am not from a foreign country I just worded that example wierd. I guess I'll just say some stock lines about being analytical and having a different knowledge set to draw on.

Don't write it if you aren't going to do it well. Everyone is diverse in some way, find what makes you diverse. Being an Engineer isn't diverse, even in lawschool. There's a ton of engineers on this forum. It doesn't make you a special snowflake. Find something else or don't write it.

Yea I get that. My question was not what should be the content of my statement, rather I was trying to find out the focal point of diversity statements in general and then I will tailor mine around that. Thanks anyway. Ill figure it out.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 pm

CastleRock wrote:Yea, I know it was funnier when it just seemed like random Canada trolling, but's that's not likely from me.

You still get a +1 funny.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Whatever you do, don't make it sound like it seems to right now (as you describe it). Try to play up your love for science and numbers, perhaps, and talk about how that affects your candidacy for law school/makes you interesting/unique/different.

Are you from an unusual part of the country (one of the Dakotas, perhaps)? Are you from an unusual family set up -- adoptive, unusually large, something unique? There could be many ways in which you contribute to diversity. If you play it well, that is.
Last edited by applepiecrust on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Confident this thread is going to be full of win. URM debates might meet up with engineering vs. everything else debates. Sounds like we might get an "Elite UG" debate too. This could be the most epic admissions thread evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!!

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:06 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Confident this thread is going to be full of win. URM debates might meet up with engineering vs. everything else debates. Sounds like we might get an "Elite UG" debate too. This could be the most epic admissions thread evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!!

Nope, it won't devolve that far unfortunately. I tried, no takers.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:08 pm

CastleRock wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Confident this thread is going to be full of win. URM debates might meet up with engineering vs. everything else debates. Sounds like we might get an "Elite UG" debate too. This could be the most epic admissions thread evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!!

Nope, it won't devolve that far unfortunately. I tried, no takers.

What happened to you TLS, you used to be cool?

--ImageRemoved--

Ascend

Postby Ascend » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Does disability qualify for a diversity statement?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:15 pm

Ascend wrote:Does disability qualify for a diversity statement?

Yes, but not ADD or ADHD.

Ascend

Postby Ascend » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 pm

So, would it be advantageous then to save the "overcoming disability" write up for a diversity statement and pick something else for a PS? Or does it depend on how substantive of an obstacle the disability was to overcome - in that, if it was a "big deal", better to focus on it in the PS and simply forgo the diversity statement)?

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Ascend wrote:So, would it be advantageous then to save the "overcoming disability" write up for a diversity statement and pick something else for a PS? Or does it depend on how substantive of an obstacle the disability was to overcome - in that, if it was a "big deal", better to focus on it in the PS and simply forgo the diversity statement)?

I think the stronger topic should be your PS -- whatever tells the adcomms the most about you. I don't believe diversity statements are necessary, even if you have many "diverse" traits. I'm gay, non-American, non-white and not writing a diversity statement (though my PS and "Why X" essays both incorporate diversity traits).

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”