Comedic PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gambelda

Comedic PS?

Postby gambelda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Can anyone direct me to an example of a highly comedic PS? I've been thinking of writing one, but have yet to see a single PS that even hints at much comedy. Is this taboo?

Quite honestly, I feel like I should have died, come back to life, and saved 15 orphans in the process after reading 100 of these PS'

EDIT: spelling error(s)

CanadianWolf

Re: Comedic PS?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:33 pm

If that is an example of your humor, then consider writing a more serious & down-to-earth personal statement.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 pm

If you can pull off solid humor & still sell yourself, sure.

Pulling off solid humor is difficult though.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If that is an example of your humor, then consider writing a more serious & down-to-earth personal statement.

It is not. It was more like a poor attempt at sarcasm but is actually a pretty true observation. Seriously. If you read these essays, 90% are about overcoming extreme adversity, etc. How is it that nearly everyone has faced these situations? You cannot tell me that every one of these stories is legitimately true.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Many essays write about hardships, but most are about influences on the applicant that shaped their goals & outlook on the world. The goal is to better understand the applicant.

gin

Postby gin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I tried doing a kind of funny ps and posted it here and it got shut down by everyone because they say I don't sound as been too mature. The topics of the essays here are really interesting and make you feel like you suck at life but I'm sure these essays are only the exception and not the rule of most law school applicants (I hope).
You can try doing the comic ps if at the same time it shows a lot intellectual prowess (and if you get it you could give me a few pointers). Who knows, it might also show a lot mental dexterity from your part which would impress the admissions committee.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Lets consult the Chinese

As confucius said: "Comedy can be a thread in the rope but it should not be the rope itself." Thus write a PS about the topic you wish (being funny is not a topic) and then we can help you decide if the jokes need to be cut out.

The Chairman: "Being funny is like being a fish swimming up stream." Draw your own conclusions.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:54 pm

I think the best combination is writing about a life changing experience with a sense of humor.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

It's possible to be funny. It's also pretty easy to fail at being funny. Write it and have others critique it to tell which camp you fall in.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”