LSAT 168 GPA 3.67 Undergraduate BFA Theatre Performance

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

LSAT 168 GPA 3.67 Undergraduate BFA Theatre Performance

Postby jminiemay » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:05 pm

To all those who take the time to read this, thank you. I would appreciate your advice and critiques greatly. This is a second draft and currently two pages when double spaced. I'm currently applying to Berkeley, Georgetown, UCLA, University of Michigan (UG alma mater), Northwestern, University of Washington, Loyola Marymount, and University of San Diego. Some of these are reaches and some are clearly safeties. If you have any additional thoughts on other schools I should look into it would also be very helpful. Thanks again,

There is an abandoned theatre in Detroit, Michigan called the Eastown Theatre which can only be described as decrepit. A decaying structural reminder of Detroit’s influence on the musical community and an astounding display of the treasures we have lost by way of neglect. The Eastown Theatre used to have such artists as Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and countless others grace its stage, yet it has now been left abandoned to decay. It is a theatre that with proper funding, work, and community support might still see another hay-day, however; due to lack of interest now stands at the precipice of demolition.

As many as 60% of elementary and high school arts programs have lost significant funding in Arizona in the last year. Leaving students who don’t necessarily excel in academic classes without an opportunity to find a creative outlet with which to shape their lives. And despite studies which conclude that studying music improves test scores and keeps more students in the class rooms, these programs are being drastically cut. And the situation in Arizona is far from isolated as similar cuts have been seen across the nation.

The dream I’ve had and worked towards for the last 13 years has been to work and collaborate with like-minded and talented artists to create provocative and emotionally stimulated work; in a word I’ve wanted to be an actress. However, over the last year I have come to realize that my dreams have taken on a new shape. The state of the artistic communities across the nation, as they effect professionals and elementary school children alike, has rocked me to the core. With growing intensity I’ve realized that I want to effect change in more than a small audience who more often than now already shares my values.

Shakespeare said, or wrote rather, that, “It is a good divine that follows his own instructions; I can easier teach twenty what were good to be done, than to be one of the twenty to follow mine own teaching.” (Merchant of Vince, I.2) By applying to law school I hope to take the first step towards following my own convictions. At the end of my time achieving a J.D. I want to set up a series of non-profit organizations whose aim will be to rehabilitate artistic communities and make art readily available to those who seek it. My greater hope would be to become a loud and active advocate for the artistic community as it concerns public policy.

By going to law school I hope to gain a larger perspective of tax and property law as it greatly affects but is often overlooked by the theatrical community. [this will be the paragraph where I will flatter colleges about how much there individual programs will help me achieve my goals] Becoming a lawyer will put me in the best position to navigate and problem solve, so that I might have a tangible impact.

My vast background in acting has immensely prepared me for the study of law. Acting has taught me the importance of process as well as an ability to dissect and critically analyze. Actors are great collaborators and well spoken debaters. I believe my creativity and dedication, which has helped me blossom in my theatrical career, will translate as hard-work and problem solving in law school.

Becoming a lawyer may be the bravest thing I’ve done. It will mean putting aside a dream I’ve loved, worked on, and pursued for many years. The stage has been my life, however; I’m ready and willing to now pursue a new direction dedicating my life and work to those artists, musicians, and actors who have inspired me thus far.

Re: LSAT 168 GPA 3.67 Undergraduate BFA Theatre Performance

Postby TonyBender » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Double check your usage of "Affect" and "Effect." Also, the semicolon in the final sentence looks a bit odd.

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:10 pm

good topic / theme, but disjointed. paragraphs don't flow.

Eastown theatre is indeed a miserable sight.

go blue, although i'm currently ashamed to say that.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:13 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:good topic / theme, but disjointed. paragraphs don't flow.

Eastown theatre is indeed a miserable sight.

go blue, although i'm currently ashamed to say that.

Hey I know you don't know who I am and everything but I just wanted to let you know that I've been keeping up on your posts. Keep em coming.

Postby dakatz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Didn't actually read the PS, but saw the semicolon at the end. Thats not how a semicolon is used. If you have a connecting word (you said "however") then you don't use a semicolon. You only use semicolon to relate two inherently connected sentences that don't have a linking term. Ex. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times

Edit: Skimmed over the first paragraph, and your first two sentences involve the exact type of situation described above in which a semicolon would be appropriate.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”