Addendum for 6 months of unemployment?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
LSATNightmares

Addendum for 6 months of unemployment?

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:30 am

Should I write an addendum for six months of unemployment? I was laid off from my job, and it took me a while to find something in this economy. I didn't take up any outside activities like community service for several reasons. First, I became ill with a stomach condition shortly after getting laid off, and when I got better, my mother was hurt in an accident and needed a caretaker. I had to drop everything and move to the opposite coast. When I resumed my job applications, there were a couple of times I came extremely close to being offered a job, so I didn't take on extra commitments because I thought I'd start work.

I have an extremely impressive resume otherwise, with four years of post-graduation work experience. I'm aiming for some T-14 schools and others like Boston U. Should I include an addendum? Or would that just draw attention to the fact I was unemployed for so long?

Thanks!

Lwoods

Re: Addendum for 6 months of unemployment?

Postby Lwoods » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:41 am

Create one. I know I saw at least one application that asked for an addendum for a break in unemployment outside of school. I can't remember which one, though (I've started more applications than I've actually submitted :wink: ).

I'd based the decision on whether or not to include it on the wording of the application. It sounds like you have a pretty good explanation.

Also, if the layoff was not merit based (e.g. the company closed the entire Toledo office), that might be worth mentioning as well. I know tons of people are losing jobs left and right in this economy, but I've seen on the employer end, at least, a distinction between those who were laid off because the company went under and those who were laid off because they were dead weight. If you already have a glowing LOR from your employer at said company, then you can disregard the initial advice in this paragraph.

LSATNightmares

Re: Addendum for 6 months of unemployment?

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I was laid off from a consulting job at a small firm, and I was the last remaining employee left (so no closures). The economy hit the company hard, as our clients were in very depressed sectors. I actually got my manager from that company to write me a recommendation. He was really emphatic that my performance was superb and the layoff was purely economic. I'm hoping law schools will believe him.

I just wrote a draft addendum. I'll send it to family and friends to see what they think.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”