PS word limit?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sangr

PS word limit?

Postby sangr » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:56 pm

hi guys...ok so i have not started any applications yet because i dunno what my LSAT score is..
im not sure if i could otherwise have found reliable info on this but...i was not able to so i thought id ask here.
what exactly is the limit for law school PS ? i heard it was 500..but when i read the "essays that got into harvard"
or whatever its called...some of these essays looked way longer than others..more than 500 words.

so what is it? if i want to apply anywhere across T20.. right now im kind of in a situation where i wanna start
all my application materials and stuff but im stalling because i dont know what score I got. what should i do in this
situation? im sure im not the only one whose gone thru a situation like this.

thanks

kalvano

Re: PS word limit?

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:03 pm

It varies by school.

http://www.appreqs.com

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:05 pm

It depends on the school. I applied to most of the schools from about #10 to about #30 in the USNWR rankings, and I only remember one PS word limit - I think 700 words. If there was a limit, most limits were page-related (no more than 2, no more than 3, 2-5 in one case), but many of the applications I did just said "write a personal statement" with no restrictions.

My advice, while you're waiting for a score, is to put Word into 1-inch margin, double space, 12 point Times New Roman and to write 2 pages of PS. Once you have that, you can adapt it to the restrictions of any school to which you're applying.

sangr

Postby sangr » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:36 pm

thanks so much!

i have one more question..i dont mean to sound lazy but i just really dont know where to get accurate information on this because whenever i research i gets different/conflicting info...so i feel like unless i actually register an APP i cant get first hand info..other than through you guys..

is there anything else other than PS that i really need to prep if im not going to start an app? i know many schools have little things they want..would PS and letters of rec be the only real thing i should prep for? so basically im asking if the requirements on the appreqs.com are hte only real things i need to prep for that would be anything real substantial.

thanks

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:31 pm

I don't know when you are applying, but get your trasnscripts sent to the LSAC. it can sometimes take up to four weeks for them to process and post your academic summary report; which you will then have to look through for errors.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:26 pm

You can start applications at LSAC without submitting them. Do that and they'll tell you everything you need.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”