Possible PS Idea

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
StillHerexxx

Possible PS Idea

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 pm

I plan on starting my PS soon, but my idea is kind of a gamble--either it will really stand out or the people reading it will think I am a bad person, thug, dirtbag, and other names that go along with the stigma of having tattoos. I want to write my personal statement about a few of my tattoos; particularily how they connect to my interests in law. For example: a tattoo of Lady Fortunae and the scales of justice. It is midievil imagery showing how justice is blind and that things can be going well one moment and fall apart the next. I think this has clear connections to the idea of law, and specifically, to how I see myself in the law profession.

Is this a ballsy and possibly good idea or will it be a damning and foolish idea?

edubs003

Re: Possible PS Idea

Postby edubs003 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:04 pm

Totally Ballsy! Who knows if some ultra-conservative will be reading it. Although, if it's well written then who knows. Just stay away from political and religious rants haha.

the_wanksta36

Postby the_wanksta36 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:14 am

Bad idea. The idea you listed behind Lady Fortunae is trite, and unless you have a personal experience that ties to it, not worth mentioning. IF you do have a personal experience as to why you decided that tattoo, talk about that instead.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah, upon further research, tattoo idea isn't that creative. How about if I incorporate being straight edge--and the strength and will it takes to keep living the straight edge lifestyle. I am thining that has some strong possibilities. What do you guys think?

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:20 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Yeah, upon further research, tattoo idea isn't that creative. How about if I incorporate being straight edge--and the strength and will it takes to keep living the straight edge lifestyle. I am thining that has some strong possibilities. What do you guys think?

The straight edge lifestyle might be something to talk about. I don't know if saying you're straight edge is such a smart idea. Some people see that as a "gang" but it is more of a lifestyle. It can be about anything you want. You just need to pick a specific topic and run with it. I wrote about being ran over by a car and coming back from that through inspiration from my grandpa. I also have another one.

Honestly, you should sit down and write a couple different topics. Start with a brainstorming session thinking about adversity, determination, or leadership and how they apply in your life. If you've been sober your whole life, that might be something to talk about. Why did you become straight edge?

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Thats where I think talking about straight edge could be useful. I became straight edge when I was like 13, but have always been sober but thats when I started claiming. Oddly enough, I did it to fit in originally, but over the years almost all of my friends have sold out and started drinking, but I want to keep being clear minded and being clean. So I think that can show how determined I am, because while I originally became straight edge to fit in with a certain group, when all of them sold out, I kept strong.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:55 pm

1. They won't get Straight Edge.
2. If they do, they'll think you are lame.

Write about the tatoos, shit sounds awesome.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 pm

I have about 5 straight edge tattoos, so I can always intertwine. I will have to sit down tomorrow and get some drafting done and see what works.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:29 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Thats where I think talking about straight edge could be useful. I became straight edge when I was like 13, but have always been sober but thats when I started claiming. Oddly enough, I did it to fit in originally, but over the years almost all of my friends have sold out and started drinking, but I want to keep being clear minded and being clean. So I think that can show how determined I am, because while I originally became straight edge to fit in with a certain group, when all of them sold out, I kept strong.

Something like this shows character. I don't know about adding the Tattoos into the mix but you can definitely write about being sober and seeing all your friends getting drunk and wasting potential. Something like that might be pretty cool.

mjrogers15

Postby mjrogers15 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:41 pm

It is all good to demonstrate how determined you are and how committed you can be, but what you need to do is a little bit of research on what the law school you are applying to values. The ps is not really about you, as strange as that may sound. It is about convincing a law school admission staff that they want you. It's more persuasion than declaration. Find out what they value, demonstrate that you have what they value, and relate it back to how it will make you successful at that law school.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”