Diversity Statement Questions

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
SupraVln180

Diversity Statement Questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:35 pm

In anticipation of my October LSAT score, I am trying to get all my application materials together. I have a definite direction for my PS, but I have a few questions regarding my DS:

1. I am Cuban and Italian, my great-grandfather also founded the first hispanic newspaper in NYC entitled, "Graphico".

2. I grew up on the outskirts of Chinatown in NYC and also attending elementary school at PS124, in the heart of Chinatown, where obviously I was the only member of my class who was not at least half chinese.

Which direction should I go? And could I potentially blend these two into one DS? My personal statement is about a specific adversity I had to overcome, so I can not use one for my PS. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Cupidity

Re: Diversity Statement Questions

Postby Cupidity » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Both these sound problematic, (though I may be inferring too much from your suggestions). The first one is problematic because the focus is on your family, and that is a classic mistake. Make sure the focus stays on you. Second one presents a similar problem--you are talking about what you aren't, instead of what you are.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”