Personal Statement vs. Optional statement / "double-spaced" Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
daniel5126

New

Personal Statement vs. Optional statement / "double-spaced"

Post by daniel5126 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:58 am

Hello TLS folk,
I am starting to prepare around 20 applications for law school (I may narrow this down with time), and I'm noticing an annoying trend amongst applications:

- Some schools (Notre Dame, Fordham) ask for a personal statement no more than 2 pages double spaced, then ask for an optional statement no more than 2 pages double spaced.

- Other schools simply ask for a personal statement, with few guidelines.

I wrote a general personal statement, 2 pages single spaced (around 4 pages double spaced, funny enough). Soooo my question:

Can I just submit this and expect them to infer it is supposed to cover both the personal and optional statements?? Maybe if I include an addendum document with a sentence explaining?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement vs. Optional statement / "double-spaced"

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:41 am

I think you should follow the instructions- it would be horrible to be denied due to a technicality.

That said, perhaps you could create TWO themes with your one PS, and turn one theme into the PS, and one theme into the OS, keeping a lot of the paragraphs the same? That is the best I've got. I had to do something similar, but it seems to have worked out well. My PS and my DS interweave together to create one big picture. I like it, though I can't guarantee to its success- it is still early in the season.

Good luck!! :)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”