Why do you want to go to law school?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
JDeterminedF

Re: Why do you want to go to law school?

Postby JDeterminedF » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 am

Because if i'm gonna be cursed to work like a dog, i might as well make more money doing so!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
bdubs wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Law school makes sense if either a) you can't do math, which removes Wall Street and Consulting as options (doing Math/Engineering majors generally leads to these anyways), or
b) did something like this, couldn't get the grades, then killed LSAT and now have second chance.

Why does everyone assume that banking or consulting jobs are superior to LS? Last time I checked being a banker sucked, and it sucks even worse ITE. There are very few career bankers and a ton of career lawyers, I think that speaks volumes about career options. Being a consultant is not glamorous either and tends to pay worse than both banks and law firms.

There are tons of reasons to choose a career in law over either one of those options, even ITE.

Are we just making stuff up now? Okay. I want to be a lawyer because I like the idea of being able to shoot sunshine from my eyes and rainbows from my ass.

I won't pretend to know the averages, but consulting, in terms of pay, is the dream.

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/mba/resources/career.html

Rethink your dream. People who already have substantial WE that have spent 2 years at HBS can reasonably expect to make $140 - 155k as a consultant. If you graduate from Harvard Law you have a much better shot at making 160-185k as a 1L with no work experience.

Yes, bankers get paid a shit ton but there are a lot less MDs at BB firms than partners at law firms. I don't have any statistics to back it up, but it's common sense (9 BB banks vs. NLJ 250). People don't stay in banking as a career at nearly as high of a rate because they either get forced out or they burn out.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 am

Anyone else here love doing research work, and writing? Anyone else here fascinated by the evolution of social policy and the law? Anyone else here genuinely interested in being a part of it? Or is it just $$$?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:54 am

I really enjoy the research work. It's fun. The writing sucks, but that's more the LW class. I like being in the library and researching stuff.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:23 am

My goal is to work as general counsel for a large hospital, so being an attorney is obviously a prerequisite.

bigben

Postby bigben » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 am

reasonable_man wrote:Oh my God.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 am

DearCan wrote:Anyone else here love doing research work, and writing? Anyone else here fascinated by the evolution of social policy and the law? Anyone else here genuinely interested in being a part of it? Or is it just $$$?

Are you actually serious?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 am

i just want to be able to put my parents and aunts and uncles in the best nursing home and make sure they dont get suckered in losing everything that they worked for.....

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 am

DearCan wrote:Anyone else here love doing research work, and writing? Anyone else here fascinated by the evolution of social policy and the law? Anyone else here genuinely interested in being a part of it? Or is it just $$$?

Love doing research. Love finding out the details and connecting them together. It's a puzzle to be solved. Social policy - yep, very different to what I've experienced. Being a part of it - yep. Without sounding naive, using my experiences and making a difference.

I'm interested by most aspects of law and its impact on everyday life. As a non-American I'm also very interested in Constitutional Law.

And if it all goes wrong I can pay for radio adverts suggesting that my services as an ambulance chaser are better than the other 1000 lawyers in my town. "X & Y. For the money."

rainbows

Not unless you can generate a rainstorm above your backside and orient the sun at will...

actually serious?

I think so. Why so jaded? OP didn't even mention Tisch or NY.

law_noob

Postby law_noob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 am

I worked at a bank, as a 'financial sales rep'. I made shitty money, did all the work for my branch manager, and was to the go to person when an anger customer walked in (I worked in the lobby of a main office building downtown). Banks are usually hiring and have good benefits, but its hard to get one of the cush jobs unless you start from the pits, even if you have the right degree. Of course, there are exceptions, but it was the worst job of my life (and I use to be a waitress).

I'm working in the field now and I like the work. I also have a strong desire to continue my education. And, I'll get in debt, but screw 100gs. Work for a bit, save money, and take the LSAT seriously. My school administration was very reasonable when it came to negotiating scholarships

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 am

I love contracts. Seriously. I'm also that friend everyone calls for help and answers to random questions, so I'll be most confortable in a client based role.

As for consulting being the dream? I would hate i-banking, but I still think they win in the bankers v. consultants war:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4
Last edited by Lwoods on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:42 am

Someone has to keep my boys out of the clink.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:54 am

StillHerexxx wrote:Someone has to keep my boys out of the clink.

Best reason so far.

texaslawyer

Postby texaslawyer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 am

Because I'm an obnoxious bastard and I love to argue ! Plus I have a Texas sized ego !

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 am

I want to be a lawyer so I can bring down an evil firm like Mitch McDeere.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:04 am

Momma sez I argue real good.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:28 am

reasonable_man wrote:

Are you actually serious?

100%

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:30 am

I will to kill people.

--ImageRemoved--

WITH THE LAW.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:34 am

ResolutePear wrote:I will to kill people.

--ImageRemoved--

WITH THE LAW.

If anyone was to reference a movie as a reason to go into law, this would be the win. Love it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”