Why do you want to go to law school? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
shemori

New

Why do you want to go to law school?

Post by shemori » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Personal statements often deal with how people are a good fit for law school, but why do you actually want to go?

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Re: Why do you want to go to law school?

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:02 pm

This is going to sound silly, but I had an exceptionally rough childhood; I originally wanted to be a lawyer so I could put people like [insert family member here] behind bars. The idea of law school never really left. I work at a homeless shelter though, and over the last several years have really come to realize how good we have it here. Even at our poorest state, we still have some of the most educated, resourced, and potentially functional poor and homeless. My shift to want to help others like myself flee their tormentors is now on a broader level; I hope to deal extensively with women and children in Africa, as I feel their situation kinda trumps a lot of the issues here. And it isn't that I don't think people here don't need help, I just feel there aren't as many people helping Africa as there are helping the women/kids here.

I think too, the reason that many businesses and agencies are successful is because the have the ability to network; they have the potential to give and receive the goods needed for sustainability. Before Africa can get on its feet, someone is going to have to help get them networking. While I am not disillusioned enough to think I can do it on my own, I think every little bit helps, and find myself dedicated to the cause.

Why do YOU want to be a lawyer??

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Perry Mason was my hero when I was like, 5.

And I suck at math too much to be an astronaut.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 pm

My grandpa nicknamed me District Attorney when I was 7 because he could never win an argument against me.

When I was 10 I stumped the headmaster at my Lutheran school while I was arguing the inconsistencies of the Holy Trinity.

I was born to do this shit.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:12 pm

My grandpa nicknamed me District Attorney when I was 7 because he could never win an argument against me.
Ha! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:13 pm

...because I hate drivng a shitty car.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:14 pm

DukeCornell wrote:...because I hate drivng a shitty car.
Valid.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 pm

I want to go to law school to become a lawyer. I want to become a lawyer because I think I would enjoy the work.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 pm

because im too old to be a toys r us kid, and i dont want to be an adult just yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Law school makes sense if either a) you can't do math, which removes Wall Street and Consulting as options (doing Math/Engineering majors generally leads to these anyways), or
b) did something like this, couldn't get the grades, then killed LSAT and now have second chance.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Law school makes sense if either a) you can't do math, which removes Wall Street and Consulting as options (doing Math/Engineering majors generally leads to these anyways), or
b) did something like this, couldn't get the grades, then killed LSAT and now have second chance.
:?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:35 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Law school makes sense if either a) you can't do math, which removes Wall Street and Consulting as options (doing Math/Engineering majors generally leads to these anyways), or
Why does everyone assume that banking or consulting jobs are superior to LS? Last time I checked being a banker sucked, and it sucks even worse ITE. There are very few career bankers and a ton of career lawyers, I think that speaks volumes about career options. Being a consultant is not glamorous either and tends to pay worse than both banks and law firms.

There are tons of reasons to choose a career in law over either one of those options, even ITE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Haha, this is actually comforting in a way. If there are enough turds out there that are going to law school only because they have nothing better to do, it bodes well for those of us that actually chose this field as a career without failing at other prospects.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 pm

bdubs wrote:
Why does everyone assume that banking or consulting jobs are superior to LS? Last time I checked being a banker sucked, and it sucks even worse ITE. There are very few career bankers and a ton of career lawyers, I think that speaks volumes about career options. Being a consultant is not glamorous either and tends to pay worse than both banks and law firms.

There are tons of reasons to choose a career in law over either one of those options, even ITE.
Are we just making stuff up now? Okay. I want to be a lawyer because I like the idea of being able to shoot sunshine from my eyes and rainbows from my ass.

I won't pretend to know the averages, but consulting, in terms of pay, is the dream.

policestate1234

New

Post by policestate1234 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:49 pm

So is everyone in this thread okay with being over 100k in debt and with no jobs?

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 pm

policestate1234 wrote:So is everyone in this thread okay with being over 100k in debt and with no jobs?
No risk no reward, buddy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 pm

policestate1234 wrote:So is everyone in this thread okay with being over 100k in debt and with no jobs?

Especially those of us who will be nowhere near $100K in debt.

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:00 am

So is everyone in this thread okay with being over 100k in debt and with no jobs?
last i checked there are no jobs anywhere. at least a jd makes it easier to find a job that will also be more enjoyable

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 am

Oh my God.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:16 am

I suppose it would be too much to hope this thread would stay on-topic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 am

DearCan wrote:I suppose it would be too much to hope this thread would stay on-topic.
I hope it does... Many of the reasons are priceless... I feel like the guy in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0l ... r_embedded

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 am

reasonable_man wrote:
DearCan wrote:I suppose it would be too much to hope this thread would stay on-topic.
I hope it does... Many of the reasons are priceless... I feel like the guy in this video:

I already covered this, supra.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 am

reasonable_man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0l ... r_embedded[/quote

Nice vid. I'm just so jaded but I want to help people!! I want to be a detective!!!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:36 am

booyakasha wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

I already covered this, supra.
Improper R4.2 usage.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”