Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
KylieMorrison
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby KylieMorrison » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm

-
Last edited by KylieMorrison on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby reverendt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:21 pm

I find the hair stylist comment to be the most intriguing...

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Options 1 or 3 could result in a good Personal Statement if done well. I would not consider option 2 because it highlights what some admissions people probably consider an undesirable quality (aversion to risk taking) and it would make it seem like you are not confident that you would do well at law school (if you consider it a risk).

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Topic number two (2) is easily your best option as it shows that you are maturing & willing to grow. The other two topics would require a great deal of cleverness to craft an effective personal statement from them. Avoid topic three (3)!

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 pm

St.Remy wrote:Options 1 or 3 could result in a good Personal Statement if done well. I would not consider option 2 because it highlights what some admissions people probably consider an undesirable quality (aversion to risk taking) and it would make it seem like you are not confident that you would do well at law school (if you consider it a risk).


I agree. 1 and 3 are better; but heck you could probably even find a way to put some 2 in 3 if you really wanted to.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Potential problem with number (3) three is that you run the risk of writing too much about others. Problem with number (1) one is that it may be difficult for some to envision a hairstylist--the most braindead of occupations--transitioning to the practice of law. Hairstylists are typified as gossipy & focused on fashion & superficial appearance, while attorneys are supposed to maintain confidentialities & engage in deep thought (i.e., focus on what is underneath the scalp, not what's on top of it).

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Potential problem with number (3) three is that you run the risk of writing too much about others. Problem with number (1) one is that it may be difficult for some to envision a hairstylist--the most braindead of occupations--transitioning to the practice of law. Hairstylists are typified as gossipy & focused on fashion & superficial appearance, while attorneys are supposed to maintain confidentialities & engage in deep thought (i.e., focus on what is underneath the scalp, not what's on top of it).


Wow, you're being stereotypical. OP has already identified him/herself as a nontypical hairstylist since she has a college degree and is thinking about law school. S/he'd write about this exactly to prove people like you wrong. I think it's a good topic.

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:58 pm

rso11 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Potential problem with number (3) three is that you run the risk of writing too much about others. Problem with number (1) one is that it may be difficult for some to envision a hairstylist--the most braindead of occupations--transitioning to the practice of law. Hairstylists are typified as gossipy & focused on fashion & superficial appearance, while attorneys are supposed to maintain confidentialities & engage in deep thought (i.e., focus on what is underneath the scalp, not what's on top of it).


Wow, you're being stereotypical. OP has already identified him/herself as a nontypical hairstylist since she has a college degree and is thinking about law school. S/he'd write about this exactly to prove people like you wrong. I think it's a good topic.


Oh, whoops. Guess OP is a girl. w/e

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 pm

CW, I don't think that's true for all attorneys.

For example, if the OP wanted to work as a defense attorney, she could make a great metaphor. She compels others to believe that her clients are beautiful(in a sense), even if they're not.

I'd say 1. It's refreshingly non-conventional. I read a PS a while back about a man who had worked as a garbage man. It worked. I think you can make 1. work too.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Maybe you could combine 1 and 2.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 pm

I agree that you should do something in the area of combining 1 and 2. 3 sounds cliche. If 1 has a good angle then it has promise.

KylieMorrison
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby KylieMorrison » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Wow CanadianWolf, you fit in the same stereotypical category as my client. I work with 7 girls and 6 out of 7 of us have college degrees. It is not a braindead occupation, and being a hairstylist has nothing do to with being unintelligent. I make $50+ an hour by using a skill that a lot of people don't have. If anything, I think it says a lot about someone wanting to do more with their life by using their full intellectual capacity. If an admission officer is going to judge me because I do hair then he/she should not be an admission officer. You would also be surprised to know that hairstylists (successful ones) can engage in deep thought and maintain confidentialities. Our clients treat us like their therapist and we have the ability to gain their trust and develop deep personal relationships with strangers after only a few meetings, something lawyers have to do...

I could probably use your comment over my client's and write a personal statement about that...

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby reverendt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:21 pm

KylieMorrison wrote:Wow CanadianWolf, you fit in the same stereotypical category as my client. I work with 7 girls and 6 out of 7 of us have college degrees. It is not a braindead occupation, and being a hairstylist has nothing do to with being unintelligent. I make $50+ an hour by using a skill that a lot of people don't have. If anything, I think it says a lot about someone wanting to do more with their life by using their full intellectual capacity. If an admission officer is going to judge me because I do hair then he/she should not be an admission officer. You would also be surprised to know that hairstylists (successful ones) can engage in deep thought and maintain confidentialities. Our clients treat us like their therapist and we have the ability to gain their trust and develop deep personal relationships with strangers after only a few meetings, something lawyers have to do...

I could probably use your comment over my client's and write a personal statement about that...


OP....you're making 50 bucks an hour, and looking to go to lawschool?
You do realize it'll probably be quite a while before you make that kind of money again?
Not that there's anything wrong with following your dreams. This is more to life than money. But still, I feel compelled to point this out.
Anyway....good luck!

KylieMorrison
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby KylieMorrison » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:30 pm

reverendt wrote:
KylieMorrison wrote:Wow CanadianWolf, you fit in the same stereotypical category as my client. I work with 7 girls and 6 out of 7 of us have college degrees. It is not a braindead occupation, and being a hairstylist has nothing do to with being unintelligent. I make $50+ an hour by using a skill that a lot of people don't have. If anything, I think it says a lot about someone wanting to do more with their life by using their full intellectual capacity. If an admission officer is going to judge me because I do hair then he/she should not be an admission officer. You would also be surprised to know that hairstylists (successful ones) can engage in deep thought and maintain confidentialities. Our clients treat us like their therapist and we have the ability to gain their trust and develop deep personal relationships with strangers after only a few meetings, something lawyers have to do...

I could probably use your comment over my client's and write a personal statement about that...


OP....you're making 50 bucks an hour, and looking to go to lawschool?
You do realize it'll probably be quite a while before you make that kind of money again?
Not that there's anything wrong with following your dreams. This is more to life than money. But still, I feel compelled to point this out.
Anyway....good luck!



Yes, I am aware of this but being a self employed hair stylist also has its disadvantages: no guaranteed paycheck, no benefits, no retirement. Granted I do make $50+ an hour, but only if I have a client and having clients is not a guarantee. On a personal note it is just not rewarding enough for me. I do feel as though I have intellectual capabilites and I want to use them instead of just choosing "the safe" option for the rest of my life.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Yes, you do have a lot to overcome. But most, if not all, readers will have had decades of experience with hairstylists & should have their own thoughts. If you can write a convincing & compelling essay on this topic, then do it. Since you asked for opinions, you should be prepared to handle an honest one without stereotyping me as one of your clients.
P.S. Having a college degree is quite common. My last barber had a master's degree in Anthropology & was very angry that the only job he could find was as a barber. He was fired within a month because he frightened customers with his angry disposition while handling sharp objects. True story. I have other college educated friends who own three or four successful hair salons, but I difficulty envisioning them as attorneys.

KylieMorrison
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby KylieMorrison » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, you do have a lot to overcome. But most, if not all, readers will have had decades of experience with hairstylists & should have their own thoughts. If you can write a convincing & compelling essay on this topic, then do it. Since you asked for opinions, you should be prepared to handle an honest one without stereotyping me as one of your clients.
P.S. Having a college degree is quite common. My last barber had a master's degree in Anthropology & was very angry that the only job he could find was as a barber. He was fired within a month because he frightened customers with his angry disposition while handling sharp objects. True story. I have other college educated friends who own three or four successful hair salons, but I difficulty envisioning them as attorneys.


I wanted advice on what I should write my personal statement about, not about what you thought of my job. And I did not correlate doing hair with being an attorney like you are. Just because you have college educated friends who do hair that you can't envision them as attorneys, does not mean that I won't make a good attorney. You are making a lot of unwarranted assumptions...

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:30 pm

I hope that you receive a high score on the LSAT. Good luck !

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby lalalawya » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:24 pm

I think you can do a combination of topics one and two. Obviously, going from a hairdresser to a law student is a big risk, just because the fields are entirely unrelated. Perhaps you can discuss how statements like your clients have inspired you to re-consider the direction you would like to take in life, and thus you have decided to take the risk to attend law school...something you have always wanted to do but just never had the courage to try. I don't know, I am having trouble writing my personal statement so I am probably not the best advice giver, but that would be a personal statement that would interest me.

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 pm

lalalawya wrote:I think you can do a combination of topics one and two. Obviously, going from a hairdresser to a law student is a big risk, just because the fields are entirely unrelated. Perhaps you can discuss how statements like your clients have inspired you to re-consider the direction you would like to take in life, and thus you have decided to take the risk to attend law school...something you have always wanted to do but just never had the courage to try. I don't know, I am having trouble writing my personal statement so I am probably not the best advice giver, but that would be a personal statement that would interest me.


Just don't overplay the not-willing-to-take-risks part. I like this idea, but if you go with it (or even just 2) you should focus on the positive move you're making toward law school, not how afraid you've been in the past. Definitely skew it.

KylieMorrison
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby KylieMorrison » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:53 pm

I am very appreciative of everyone's comments (realtive to my personal statement). I decided to mostly write about the first choice while incorporating how her comment has given me that extra push needed to step out of my comfort zone so I am including the risk aspect of it too. I am going to make it clear that I dont think law school in itself is a risk, but the circumstances are such as: having to sell my house I just bought, move to a city where I know no one when I have lived in the same town my whole life, quit my job, etc.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 pm

KylieMorrison wrote:I am very appreciative of everyone's comments (realtive to my personal statement). I decided to mostly write about the first choice while incorporating how her comment has given me that extra push needed to step out of my comfort zone so I am including the risk aspect of it too. I am going to make it clear that I dont think law school in itself is a risk, but the circumstances are such as: having to sell my house I just bought, move to a city where I know no one when I have lived in the same town my whole life, quit my job, etc.


Crucial topic. I would more just mention the interaction (1) briefly then talk about how you are taking a risk. As you first wrote it, it made it seem that you are applying just because you felt inferior after the exchange. Not sure that's a reason that is going to woo admissions officials. Discussing that you want more -- in terms of fulfillment, responsibility, and challenge etc. -- than your current job can provide and how you are willing to have faith in yourself in taking the risk is a great topic. Still, I'd say more 2 than 1. Not saying I think you HAVE to completely take out the exchange but don't play it up.

two_wheels_good
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Advice wanted! What topic should I write about?

Postby two_wheels_good » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:30 pm

I like #1. It's kind of a unique background to have, and it could make a good introduction that makes the reader want to continue reading. It should definitely be used as just a jumping off point into a larger theme though about why you want to go to law school. Introduce it, and move on to something else.

And before anyone wants makes cracks about hairstylists, I know several that make around $80k a year. Remember that when your fresh-out-of-law-school job hunting isn't going as well as expected.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.