my personal statement ideas

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
paulshortys10

my personal statement ideas

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:54 pm

just wanted to get some of the things that I was to write on out there to hopefully get approved by some of you guys.

1.Can I write about my parent's hardships and sacrifices in order to give me a chance in this country? Both of the are immigrants, and I have interesting stories about their coming here. Also both of them have worked extremely hard throughout their lives, can i write about this?

2.Can i write about the poor/dangerous environment i grew up in.... How i spoke no english until I was in 3rd grade....How i was called a wetback and beaner when i was in elementary? how my parents divorced when I was 13.?

3.Finally I would like to write about how these experiences have prepared me for law school..

I want to structure it like so

1st paragraph-speak of parents sacrifices and environment i grew up in, and the hardships that followed their decision to move to a better area.
2nd paragraph-speak of my difficulties in my new elementary school, and also on my parents divorce and how it affected me.
3rd. This Paragraph im still thinking what to write about. I want to write about maybe my community service and how I like to give back to the community...OR how my parents hard work ethic has transfered into me being very successful in martial arts.
4.How all these things tie to my choice of attending law school.

sarahh

Re: my personal statement ideas

Postby sarahh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:07 pm

I think it is fine, but I would not spend too much time talking about your parents - the personal statement is supposed to be about you. In regards to the content for paragraph three, I think the former is better than the latter unless you can tie the martial arts into why you want to be a lawyer.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Your personal statement can be about your influences as well as about yourself. Probably better to write a rough draft before seeking critiques.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Yeah, there is a lot less space than you think in two pages. Write the draft and post for critique. Remember that a lot of schools also offer a chance for a shorter diversity statement so some of what you cannot get into the PS can be there.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”