Drug Addiction?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MetaCognition

Drug Addiction?

Postby MetaCognition » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I am curious as to how law schools might react to a personal essay surrounding overcoming drug addiction? For a few months during my sophomore year in college I was heavily involved in the drug scene, including usage of hard drugs. My GPA was left unaffected, but I did end up having to switch schools and take a semester off (which I made up with summer classes the immediate summer after this occurred). I have found this incident to be a turning point in my life 100% for the better, but am worried that law schools might look down on any type of illegal activity involvement (even though I have not gone near anything since this period of my life). This is not a joke post, and if anyone wants to PM me regarding this topic to ask specifics, please let me know.

D. H2Oman

Re: Drug Addiction?

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:07 pm

RISK reward

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Given that the personal statement really only exists as a chance for you to fuck it up, I might go a different route...

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 pm

... no way to really prove it, but it can work.

solo

Postby solo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:03 pm

If you are going to write a statement about drug use, then you need to have a huge upside or comeback story. Those stories are also more effective when they occur due to circumstances outside of your control but this sounds like you could have avoided it but instead embraced the drug use. I wouldn't touch this topic but if you have a tremendous comeback story to accompany it, it might be worth it.

nickk

Postby nickk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I would stay away from it unless you do have a good comeback story like one of the above posters said, or it has been a very long time since your sophomore year in college.

MetaCognition

Postby MetaCognition » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:04 pm

As I said, it did turn my life around. I never had any interest in law until my spiral downwards, which turned into a huge upward spiral that I am still on. I appreciate the responses and feedback, and I want to make it clear that I was never a "junkie on the street" type of drug user. I wouldn't want to make my entire essay about drug usage and comeback or any of that jazz, because that's not what my story is about. But would mentioning it as a footnote (an important one) in my "comeback" story still be that bad? I understand that making it the main theme of my personal essay would be foolish, and I should have made it clearer that that was never my goal.

MetaCognition

Postby MetaCognition » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:52 pm

I got busted by the school, but not arrested.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:46 pm

"Upward spriral"?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Last edited by Marionberry on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:42 pm

This topic is really hard to do, but just a couple days ago this guy put up a PS about drug addiction, Hepatitis C, and how he got off the streets. It was one of the best PS's I have ever read.

That being said, unless your story is extraordinary or you are an exceptionally good writer, stay away from the drug topic. I also thought about writing about a previous opiate addiction, but the risk is to great.

Do a search and find that guys PS. Give it a good read. Unless you can write a PS that good, stay away. He is also a gay muslim in the US, which would add diversity to any LS. He did a bunch of work during his recovery, I can't remember exactly what.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:23 am

Last edited by Foosters Galore on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:37 am

do NOT write about this. It will not help you anywhere. Schools are looking for top flight individuals who can find jobs after they graduate, not your average former addict. I say average because if you were Aaron Sorkin then they might make an exception. I understand it was a seminal event in your life or whatever, but you are better off in all respects by just moving onward and keeping it in the past. Additionally in the off chance your admissions file is passed on to ANYONE else including bar examiners it would just be one more question about your admission that no one else will have to deal. Just write your PS about the job you had this summer and move on.

WeX11788

Postby WeX11788 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 am

MetaCognition wrote:I am curious as to how law schools might react to a personal essay surrounding overcoming drug addiction? For a few months during my sophomore year in college I was heavily involved in the drug scene, including usage of hard drugs. My GPA was left unaffected, but I did end up having to switch schools and take a semester off (which I made up with summer classes the immediate summer after this occurred). I have found this incident to be a turning point in my life 100% for the better, but am worried that law schools might look down on any type of illegal activity involvement (even though I have not gone near anything since this period of my life). This is not a joke post, and if anyone wants to PM me regarding this topic to ask specifics, please let me know.

I'm not so sure if you should choose this topic. This is coming from a street guy who has been through it and knows what drug addiction is like (although I never had that problem myself). I only tell you this about me so you know that I'm someone who can actually relate to and appreciate your situation. Again, I'm assuming you were a REAL addict, not just someone experimenting (even heavily) with drugs like hallucinogens.

It's a big risk, and in the end, it makes you look vulnerable to having that problem again, which might turn a lot of law schools away from you. I don't know what kind of writer you are, so maybe you are articulate enough to write a PS that is convincing enough that you will never return to addiction. In that case, it could work in your favor; but like I said, it's a giant risk.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”