BLARGHHH!! PS TAKE TOO MUCH TIME (take a look plz?)

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cidrum

BLARGHHH!! PS TAKE TOO MUCH TIME (take a look plz?)

Postby cidrum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

He was an old Guatemalan resident living in a house made of sticks with dirt floors and no running water. I pitied him at first sight, but when asked about what he wanted, he said, “I do not want anything”. As I stood there in disbelief of this man’s response, my naïveté became increasingly obvious. He had all things that he valued; his family, friends, religion, as well as clothing and food to survive. He was content while living under such modest means, and that made me reconsider my own values. His response instilled in me a deeper appreciation for the unique aspects of his culture and sparked my curiosity about how to contribute to his community’s development.

On the last day of my exploratory trip in fall 2008, shock overwhelmed me as I watched a helpless man’s life end at my feet while his family paced back and forth next to me. The physicians - exhausting their alternatives - were unable to treat the gunshot wound to his chest because they lacked the needed medical supplies. The physical and emotional pain endured by the victim and his family haunted me and inspired me to understand the complexities surrounding his death. I continually thought about what the outcome would’ve been if the medical supplies were there.

Healthcare injustices are the most atrocious and tragic violations of human indignity. These injustices are especially common in the social fabric of less resourceful nations, and through generations these inequities perpetuate a chasm between developing countries and the developed. In turn, they cause oppression of a less fortunate nation’s populous. Decreased health leads to lower educational attainment, lower labor productivity, slower economic growth, and less investment in human capital.

Upon returning to school and conducting intensive research, I learned about the surplus of medical supplies in the US and in response, funded the establishment of Advocates for World Health with excess scholarship money. I began recruiting young and brilliant college students spanning from diverse fields such as medical research to business and economics. With AWH’s diversity in people, innovativeness was emphasized. My honors thesis specifically targeted the dynamics of our prolific supply chain which was a result of AWH’s innovation. Through Oak Hill Hospital, AWH mediated its first shipment of medical supplies to Guatemala in fall of 2008. In January of the following year, AWH sent its largest shipment to Haiti through collaboration with the American Red Cross. With a year and a half of growth and five volunteer trips, we now have four locations with over twenty people working as part time volunteer staff, numerous partnerships with a variety of large organizations, and most importantly, noticeable change in the communities that we work.

On my second trip to Guatemala, I interviewed an executive of Aprofam, Guatemala’s largest not for profit network of hospitals. When asked about foreign aid attempts, he affirmed, “Yes, yes I know about them…” He noted that local residents were also discouraged by previous aid workers that pursued unintentionally harmful ideas on how to improve Guatemalan conditions. I immediately thought about my experience with the man who needed nothing and both insights culminated in establishing the first major partnership and AWH’s culturally relativistic approach.

I WILL TALK ABOUT XX LAW PROGRAM HERE (Sorry in advance)

Global health inequities will not disappear by themselves. Through my international experiences I understand the effects that they can have, and through community research, the importance of relinquishing them. With my leadership skills, I will leverage my knowledge in public health and economics to positively change lives around the world. I know that at X school I will acquire the skills needed to pursue my goals. Looking forward I recognize an obligation, albeit a passion, to lead my counterparts in resolving global healthcare issues.

Marionberry

Re: BLARGHHH!! PS TAKE TOO MUCH TIME (take a look plz?)

Postby Marionberry » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:30 pm

"Healthcare injustices are the most atrocious and tragic violations of human indignity."

I think this is debatable.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:42 pm

I agree with MarionBerry. The first two paragraphs were very good, then that ridiculous line & it went downhill from there.

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cidrum

Postby cidrum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:22 am

bump?

cidrum

Postby cidrum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks for the responses so far. I will implement some of them for sure.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”